The Mighty Young Apollo

Post your favourite Physical Culture YouTube videos. Also visit the "Features" area of our site for a wide selection of fascinating videos that are sure to please.

Moderators: drob357, David Gentle

DannyBoy

The Mighty Young Apollo

Post by DannyBoy » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:50 am

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E3ehDl0NWI[/video]

As David said in the Warren Lincoln Travis thread, strongman The Mighty Young Apollo (Paul Anderson) had a great physique. I love how after he pressed the barbell he drops it behind his back and catches it with his hands before dropping it to the ground. Some of the feats The Mighty Young Apollo performed though were quite dangerous and he was injured numerous times over the course of his strongman career. Those stones the assistant would break over his back & arm were solid rock, not concrete like many use/used, and thus tougher to break. It looks like his arm may actually have been hurt while shooting that film.

As I'm sure we here all know, the name Paul Anderson also belongs to another man who happens to be one of the biggest, greatest legends in strength & the iron game, but this Paul Anderson, The Mighty Young Apollo, is a legend too and should be better known than he is these days.

peter yates

Re: The Mighty Young Apollo

Post by peter yates » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:02 pm

HI DANNY,
THANKS FOR POSTING THIS. YES HE CERTAINLY DESERVES TO BE REMEMBERED AS HE WAS THE REAL DEAL. GREAT PHYSIQUE AND GENUINELY STRONG. HE WAS ALSO AN ACCOMPLISHED MARTIAL ARTISTS AND TEACHER OF KARATE. IT IS A PITY THAT AUSTRALIAN STRONG MEN ARE NOT AS WIDELY KNOWN AS EUROPEAN AND AMERICAN STRONGMEN. AUSTRALIA HAS PRODUCED SOME VERY STRONG MEN AND WOMEN AS WELL AS GREAT PHYSIQUE STARS. A CHEER FOR THE AUSSIES.
REGARDS, PETER.
Peter Yates

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:38 pm

That's the same sort of trick (having a car drive over you) that Tom Owen did a lot of (as demonstrated here in 1996)

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccD2_7Eo4pQ[/video]
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:28 pm

peter yates wrote:HI DANNY,
THANKS FOR POSTING THIS. YES HE CERTAINLY DESERVES TO BE REMEMBERED AS HE WAS THE REAL DEAL. GREAT PHYSIQUE AND GENUINELY STRONG. HE WAS ALSO AN ACCOMPLISHED MARTIAL ARTISTS AND TEACHER OF KARATE. IT IS A PITY THAT AUSTRALIAN STRONG MEN ARE NOT AS WIDELY KNOWN AS EUROPEAN AND AMERICAN STRONGMEN. AUSTRALIA HAS PRODUCED SOME VERY STRONG MEN AND WOMEN AS WELL AS GREAT PHYSIQUE STARS. A CHEER FOR THE AUSSIES.
REGARDS, PETER.
I've read that The Mighty Young Apollo developed his own self-defense system known simply as "Combat" which focused on the practical use of martial arts, particularly on the streets. I haven't been able to find anything else out about it though.

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:30 pm

Harry Hayfield wrote:That's the same sort of trick (having a car drive over you) that Tom Owen did a lot of (as demonstrated here in 1996)

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccD2_7Eo4pQ[/video]
Yep, that one seemed to be a staple in the repertoire of a number of old time/old school strongmen. You don't see it too often these days.

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:58 pm

Here's a good article about Paul Anderson, The Mighty Young Apollo by Logan Christopher of Legendary Strength, which he created with information and material provided by Anderson's son Mark Anderson. The article includes a great video of The Mighty Young Apollo performing his helicopter barbell feat.

Paul Anderson, The Mighty Young Apollo

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:51 am

I came across this photo of Paul Anderson's old Mighty Apollo Gym in Melbourne, Australia from a few months ago.