Rare footage of Reeves, Grimek and more

Post your favourite Physical Culture YouTube videos. Also visit the "Features" area of our site for a wide selection of fascinating videos that are sure to please.

Moderators: drob357, David Gentle

colinkbell

Rare footage of Reeves, Grimek and more

Post by colinkbell » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:14 am

Just found this video on Youtube and i couldn't believe my eyes! Here is the link,and enjoy :D :D :D :D :
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxCwyPKFESs[/video]
Colin
Last edited by Harry Hayfield on Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Adding correct code to ensure video appears on forum post
" Strengthen ye the weak hands and confirm the feeble knees" Isaiah 35 v3

peter yates

Re: Rare footage of Reeves, Grimek and more

Post by peter yates » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:04 am

GREAT STUFF, THANKS FOR POSTING COLIN. NOW WE ARE REALLY TALKING CLASSIC PHYSIQUES.HOW LUCKY WE ARE THAT THIS WAS TAKEN, HAS SURVIVED AND WAS GENEROUSLY SHARED BY THE VIDEO OWNER.
REGARDS, PETER.
Peter Yates

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:05 pm

Thanks for sharing this video Colin and thanks to David Denhollander for uploading it to YouTube! This is some great old school footage and there indeed is more to it than just Grimek & Reeves too. :)

By the way, today would've been the 90th birthday of Steve Reeves.

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:42 am

I just loved the video,not only of Grimek,but also the other guys.A few bits i had seen before, like J.C hitting the ba rover his forearm etc, but some of it was new to me and really appreciated By the way, did you know Johns daughter Pat was or is, selling off all of Johns memorablia. on ebay i suppose??? When i met the Grimeks family some years ago, i told Pat i was seeking photos of John for a book, she said she had "Thousands of photos" but was "going to write a book herself, so i could not have them." the promised book never did show. I worked for John as Foreign correspondent on Muscular Development mag back when he had just taken it over for Hoffman due to the demise of Strength and Health. I also asked John for photos, but he told me he had very few, as when he wrote articles and sent pictures, he never got the photos back. He did however send me about 30 old negs which i got developed the old fashioned way. he also told me he destroyed hundreds of pictures because he didnt like them. A lot of his photos were taken by his wife Angela. somewhere i do have copies of almost all the articles Grimek ever wrote, and boy, theres a lot of them. The best articles for grippers is the one he wrote "The Forgotten Art" in S&S.f try and find it. David Gentle and real thanks to you guys for supporting the site with such amazing stuff.
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:16 pm

David Gentle wrote:I just loved the video,not only of Grimek,but also the other guys.A few bits i had seen before, like J.C hitting the ba rover his forearm etc, but some of it was new to me and really appreciated By the way, did you know Johns daughter Pat was or is, selling off all of Johns memorablia. on ebay i suppose??? When i met the Grimeks family some years ago, i told Pat i was seeking photos of John for a book, she said she had "Thousands of photos" but was "going to write a book herself, so i could not have them." the promised book never did show. I worked for John as Foreign correspondent on Muscular Development mag back when he had just taken it over for Hoffman due to the demise of Strength and Health. I also asked John for photos, but he told me he had very few, as when he wrote articles and sent pictures, he never got the photos back. He did however send me about 30 old negs which i got developed the old fashioned way. he also told me he destroyed hundreds of pictures because he didnt like them. A lot of his photos were taken by his wife Angela. somewhere i do have copies of almost all the articles Grimek ever wrote, and boy, theres a lot of them. The best articles for grippers is the one he wrote "The Forgotten Art" in S&S.f try and find it. David Gentle and real thanks to you guys for supporting the site with such amazing stuff.
Nope, I hadn't heard that. I looked on eBay but didn't see anything outside of the usual listings for magazines & photos related to John Grimek. Do you know what kind of memorabilia she's selling?

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:51 am

Re Pat and Grimek items, she is []selling all of it []including many bound volumes of S&H and MD. i saw the item in a recent mag, or it could have been the old timers newsletter re Artie Dreschler . My guess is someone has already snapped it up, eg, Terry Todd and the Austin Texas museum would buy stuff like that. sorry cant bring source to mind immediately, it was certainly less than a month ago, but i read so many mags that will have to take a look back at some of them. when i find it will let the gang know. David Gentle.
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:55 am

I watched this great video again and decided since John Grimek & Steve Reeves are the only two who've been positively identified as being in the film that I would to try to identify the other guys who're prominently featured in the footage.

Starting at :12 into the video the first segment has the camera moving left across a line-up of 5 guys, one after the other. The 1st guy I'm really not sure about, he looks familiar (it kinda looks like John Terpak), but I don't know. After the 1st guy I'm quite sure it goes Frank Spellman [:17], John Grimek [:25], Joe Lauriano [:34] & Steve Stanko [:40].

Later on after some footage of Grimek posing & performing a couple feats, at the 3:38 mark you can see 3 girls checking out a line-up of 9 bodybuilders. You can't really get a good look at them from this shot and only 7 of them are featured up close afterwards, so 2 of them probably aren't going to be able to be identified. Of the 7 seen up close; the 1st starting at 3:49 looks familiar but I can't put a name to the face, [starting at 3:57] John Farbotnik, [starting at 4:03] I'm pretty sure that's Eric Pedersen, [starting at 4:17] Kimon Voyages, [starting at 4:34] another guy who looks familiar but again I'm not able to put a name to the face, [starting at 4:50] George Eiferman, then more footage of Farbotnik, [starting at 6:32] Steve Reeves.

So can anybody identify the 3 guys I wasn't able to?? Or if anyone believes I'm incorrect with any of the above identifications then please do correct me.