The Beginning of Muscle Beach by Ric Drasin

Post your favourite Physical Culture YouTube videos. Also visit the "Features" area of our site for a wide selection of fascinating videos that are sure to please.

Moderators: DannyBoy, Harry Hayfield, David Gentle

DannyBoy

The Beginning of Muscle Beach by Ric Drasin

Post by DannyBoy » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:25 am

Ric Drasin posted this great video a few hours ago of him talking about Muscle Beach back in the day and in it he shows rare footage & photos of the goings-on at Muscle Beach in the 1950s. The Muscle Beach footage features hand balancing & acrobatics, posing, Ed Fury, George Eiferman and my favorite part; Reg Park doing standing dumbbell presses. 8-)

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poKdHgjlVAE[/video]

peter yates

Re: The Beginning of Muscle Beach by Ric Drasin

Post by peter yates » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:38 pm

THANKS DANNY AND THANKS RIC,
PRICELESS STUFF. AS KID FREEZING MY WHATNOTS OFF IN THE COLD ENGLISH WINTERS I WOULD READ THE MUSCLE MAGS AND DREAM OF VISITING MUSCLE BEACH. THE THOUGHT OF IT REALLY PUMPED ME UP AND STIMULATED MY TRAINING. GREAT TO SEE THOSE GUYS IN ACTION AND WORTH IT JUST TO SEE REG PARK.
REGARDS, PETER.
Peter Yates

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:46 pm

peter yates wrote:THANKS DANNY AND THANKS RIC,
PRICELESS STUFF. AS KID FREEZING MY WHATNOTS OFF IN THE COLD ENGLISH WINTERS I WOULD READ THE MUSCLE MAGS AND DREAM OF VISITING MUSCLE BEACH. THE THOUGHT OF IT REALLY PUMPED ME UP AND STIMULATED MY TRAINING. GREAT TO SEE THOSE GUYS IN ACTION AND WORTH IT JUST TO SEE REG PARK.
REGARDS, PETER.
So did you ever visit Muscle Beach during any of your world travels?

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:29 pm

HI DANNY,
YES I DID BUT WAY AFTER ITS HEYDAY. I WENT WITH MY COUSIN CHARLES WHO LIVES IN SAN DIEGO. WE WENT TO SANTA MONICA AND I CLOSED MY EYES TRYING TO VISUALIZE WHAT IT WOULD HAVE BEEN LIKE BASED ON PICTURES I HAD SEEN. THERE WERE A FEW PEOPLE DOING SOME HAND BALANCING BUT THE PLACE WAS PRETTY QUIET AS IT WAS A WEEK DAY. WE THEN WENT UP TO VENICE WHERE THERE WERE SOME PEOPLE WORKING OUT BUT NO ONE I RECOGNIZED. THIS WAS AROUND 1991-2.
REGARDS, PETER.
Peter Yates

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:58 am

peter yates wrote:HI DANNY,
YES I DID BUT WAY AFTER ITS HEYDAY. I WENT WITH MY COUSIN CHARLES WHO LIVES IN SAN DIEGO. WE WENT TO SANTA MONICA AND I CLOSED MY EYES TRYING TO VISUALIZE WHAT IT WOULD HAVE BEEN LIKE BASED ON PICTURES I HAD SEEN. THERE WERE A FEW PEOPLE DOING SOME HAND BALANCING BUT THE PLACE WAS PRETTY QUIET AS IT WAS A WEEK DAY. WE THEN WENT UP TO VENICE WHERE THERE WERE SOME PEOPLE WORKING OUT BUT NO ONE I RECOGNIZED. THIS WAS AROUND 1991-2.
REGARDS, PETER.
Did you get a workout in?

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:42 pm

NO BUT I DID A COUPLE OF MUSCLE POSES FOR MY COUSIN IN FRONT OF THE PIT. :lol:
Peter Yates

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:02 pm

peter yates wrote:NO BUT I DID A COUPLE OF MUSCLE POSES FOR MY COUSIN IN FRONT OF THE PIT. :lol:
LOL. Nothing wrong with that, it would seem to be a natural thing to do at Muscle Beach. :D

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:21 pm

YES IT IS OK IF YOU HAVE SOME MUSCLE TO SHOW. :lol:
Peter Yates