Any chance of a name?

Post your favourite Physical Culture YouTube videos. Also visit the "Features" area of our site for a wide selection of fascinating videos that are sure to please.

Moderators: drob357, David Gentle

Harry Hayfield

Any chance of a name?

Post by Harry Hayfield » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:48 pm

Since 2011, BBC Four have been replaying editions of Top of the Tops from 35 years previously (i.e it started showing repeats from 1976 with the aim of keeping that as the series carried on). However thanks to the Saville scandal, the BBC decided never to show any editions featuring people with allegations of historical sex abuse hanging over them and so as a result they have now started on 1982 (which should have been shown in 2017) which started a month ago and the first episode featuring two bodybuilders (although to be honest they look more like models) but just to be on the safe side, I have taken screengrabs to see if they can be identified. For ease, the programme was transmitted on January 7th 1982
Attachments
TOTP Bodybuilder Two.jpg
TOTP Bodybuilder Two.jpg (47.42 KiB) Viewed 6009 times
TOTP Bodybuilder One.jpg
TOTP Bodybuilder One.jpg (34.28 KiB) Viewed 6009 times
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

DannyBoy

Re: Any chance of a name?

Post by DannyBoy » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:00 pm

I don't recognize them Harry, but they look more like fitness models than bodybuilders to me. So who's performance were these guys a part of? Olivia Newton-John?

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:49 am

DannyBoy wrote:I don't recognize them Harry, but they look more like fitness models than bodybuilders to me. So who's performance were these guys a part of? Olivia Newton-John?
They were standing by, doing standard bodybuilding poses (hence the initial thought that they were bodybuilders) whilst a dance troupe (called Zoo) were performing to the Top of the Pops theme tune (as this was the first edition to feature it) called "Yellow Pearl" and thanks to the power of YouTube here's the full performance

[video]https://youtu.be/NcIyPrnD4d4[/video]
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:04 am

DONT BET YOUR LAST DOLLAR ON IT, BUT I HAVE A WEIRD IDEA/INKLING, THAT THE FIRST TALL BLOND GUY IS A YOUNG DAVID PROWSE. DAVID LONG BEFORE STAR WARS DID A LOT OF BODYBUILDING, RAN HIS OWN MAG....POWER...USED TO DO VARIOUS JOBS IN THE MEDIA, AND THIS IS TRUE, ONCE GOT PAID 25 SMACKERS FOR JUST SITTING IN A PUB WITH A LOAD MORE TOUGH LOOKING GUYS AS SORT OF BACK UP SCENERY FOR THE KRAY BROTHERS. HONEST. I SPEAK TO DAVE REGULARLY AND WILL ASK HIM IF HE REMEMBERS IT...NO IDEA RE THE OTHER BLOKE. DAVID GENTLE
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com