Greetings from Physical Culture enthusiast

Welcome! Please feel free to introduce yourself.
Behind the Scenes at HOPC: Diane Robert Site Administrator, David Gentle Historian, Gil Waldron Research Historian,Ron Tyrrell Historian, Peter Yates Editor-in-Chief. DannyBoy and Harry Hayfield, Forum & Facebook Moderators

Moderators: DannyBoy, Harry Hayfield, David Gentle

KauKeung

Greetings from Physical Culture enthusiast

Post by KauKeung » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:11 pm

Hi everyone ,

I'm just getting acquainted and acclimatising with this site and the forum. I'm a big fan of physical culture and its derivatives my main areas of interest are

Boxing
Olympic weightlifting
Martial Arts (particularly traditional Chinese martial arts) (TCMA for short)
Natural strongman
Strength & Conditioning for sports and performance

I'm avid collector and voracious reader of old now defunct publications like Bodybuilding Monthly, Combat , Iron Man and MuscleMag International

I seem to remember seeing a British army instructor from the early 1900's? published a handbook a while ago can anybody please remind me of his name please? Does anyone also have any information biographical or training on Ronald Walker the British Weightlifter please?

Thanks
Keung

Harry Hayfield

Re: Greetings from Physical Culture enthusiast

Post by Harry Hayfield » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:58 pm

KauKeung wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:11 pm
I seem to remember seeing a British army instructor from the early 1900's? published a handbook a while ago can anybody please remind me of his name please? Thanks
Keung
That would be Staff Sgt. Moss
Attachments
Staff Sgt Moss.png
Staff Sgt Moss.png (157.52 KiB) Viewed 1348 times
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:12 pm

Hello Keung,
a warm welcome to the forum and thank you for introducing yourself. It seems you have a very well rounded interest in PC. Where are you located? Which TCMA do you practice? There are articles about Ron Walker in the library and if you have not subscribed yet i would encourage you to do so.A terrific collection of rare and out of print books plus many articles on varied PC topics.I hope you will contribute some of your expertise to the forum.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Handson

Post by Handson » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:34 pm

Hi KauKeung

Would you recognise the PTI if you saw his picture again?
Handson
Attachments
Bill Pullum Army PTI.jpg
Bill Pullum Army PTI.jpg (344.1 KiB) Viewed 1339 times

KauKeung

Post by KauKeung » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:24 pm

Hi All,

Thank you for the greetings and warm welcome. Harry Hayfield identified the British Army PTI for me Staff Sgt Moss.

Hi Peter ,
I'm based in Britain currently but used to reside and work in China and Hong Kong for a while, I have studied quite a few Martial Arts such as Boxing , Southern Praying Mantis , Wushu (Northern Shaolin) , Tae Kwon Do , Sanda ( Chinese Kickboxing) and Hung Kuen. I'd say I probably studied Boxing and Hung Kuen mostly though. I'm still getting used to navigating around the site so I'll subscribe at some stage I'm sure, I'm looking forward to checking out the resources available on the site and discussing training etc.

Hi Handson,
Is that photo from another publication or old British army physical training manual?

Keung

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:37 am

Hi Mate, you have interestes in which we have enormous covergage, books, courses, photos and martitial arts courtesy of Peter, its a library all for a few cents and the best value you will ever get, so welcome to our gang We are all friends, not just members and everyone gets their say and we love to know of your interests. I personally have one of the greatest libraries in the UK and without taking a double look, although i wlll, that photo you enclosed is to me a photo of BILL PULLUM, out of one of his books and after this email iam going totake a look, give me any specifics you are interested in if its p.c although i do also have plenty of martial arts stuff, once trained by Joe Robinso and Judo Jimmy Noyce back in the 50s, for more current info,ask Peter, our site expert and top friend. Pulllum also had plenty to do with Walker, and he is an amazing story in himself. will get back to you when i find anyhthing, dont be shy to let the site know of your interests and any input from you is a bonus for the site, best wishes, David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:26 pm

Hi Keung, just found the book i remember the photo of Pulllum from, it was from a book, i have just given away as i had a spare, Weight Lifting Made Easy and Interesting, The photo showing Pulllum standing as an Army instructor for the first world war. When war war ! broke out Pullum tried to enlist, bt the authorities asked him to delay and immediately detailed him via the recruiting authorities to because a national coach to bring up to scratch the huge number of men who were below fighting fitness, mainly due to poor chest expansion and general fitness. So he remained in the civilian capacity whilst coaching the army p.t.i instructors, he did however continue to compete and train with some amazing lifts for a small man, too many to list, you should have bid for the book. See also his parat in Walkers success in the book. David Gentle.....just tried to add pix which are too big, so going back to reduce photos and will send next David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:36 pm

Hi Keung, just found the book i remember the photo of Pulllum from, it was from a book, i have just given away as i had a spare, Weight Lifting Made Easy and Interesting, The photo showing Pulllum standing as an Army instructor for the first world war. When war war ! broke out Pullum tried to enlist, bt the authorities asked him to delay and immediately detailed him via the recruiting authorities to because a national coach to bring up to scratch the huge number of men who were below fighting fitness, mainly due to poor chest expansion and general fitness. So he remained in the civilian capacity whilst coaching the army p.t.i instructors, he did however continue to compete and train with some amazing lifts for a small man, too many to list, you should have bid for the book. See also his parat in Walkers success in the book. David Gentle.....just tried to add pix which are too big, so going back to reduce photos and will send next David Gentle
scan0159.jpg
scan0159.jpg (704.48 KiB) Viewed 1324 times
scan0159.jpg
scan0159.jpg (704.48 KiB) Viewed 1324 times
Attachments
scan0160.jpg
scan0160.jpg (689.02 KiB) Viewed 1324 times
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:39 pm

One last thought, read the earlier two first, about SSgt Moss, considered by many to have had the greatest phsique of them all, he was down graded in p.c. contests because he had Tattoos, just imagine today, even the women are covered in ink.......DG
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:55 pm

KauKeung wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:24 pm
Hi All,

Thank you for the greetings and warm welcome. Harry Hayfield identified the British Army PTI for me Staff Sgt Moss.

Hi Peter ,
I'm based in Britain currently but used to reside and work in China and Hong Kong for a while, I have studied quite a few Martial Arts such as Boxing , Southern Praying Mantis , Wushu (Northern Shaolin) , Tae Kwon Do , Sanda ( Chinese Kickboxing) and Hung Kuen. I'd say I probably studied Boxing and Hung Kuen mostly though. I'm still getting used to navigating around the site so I'll subscribe at some stage I'm sure, I'm looking forward to checking out the resources available on the site and discussing training etc.

Hi Handson,
Is that photo from another publication or old British army physical training manual?

Keung
Hi Keung,
I am from England but lived in Japan for 15 years and traveled to Hong Kong and China many times. I too started my martial journey in 1963 with boxing and free style wrestling.Then Okinawan karate and jiujutsu gradually transitioning into the Chinese arts.First of all Jow Gar a combination of Northern and Southern Shaolin, then Xing Yi, Baji and Chen style Tai ji. I would go to China every year to live with my Sifu and train 6 hours a day. Usually from 4 to 8 weeks at a time depending on what i could afford, but i also went for 15 months one time and that is when i met my wife. I also took trips to Taiwan, Thailand, Philippines and Singapore for training. However some of the best training i had was working on the door in Australian night clubs in the 1970's.Hope you like the site and join the Library and also share your experiences with us.As David said we are a group of friends and everyone's opinion is valid and respected.We help and learn from each other.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates