Maxalding

Post questions concerning the History of Physical Culture and we will try our best to answer them for you.

Moderators: DannyBoy, Harry Hayfield, David Gentle

peter yates

Re: Maxalding

Post by peter yates » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:36 pm

Hi Nicholas,
nice to hear from you again. Well the combination of Maxalding and cables is a really good one. There are more experienced Maxalding practitioners than myself [Gil, Talbot,Paul]but my opinion is holding the contraction for the required count and then release and relax everything before the next contraction. Remember as you progress and become more accustomed to the exercise and stronger reduce the amount of time held.There is a terrific amount of information in the library on cable training plus quite a bit of sound advise on the forum. While the cables are extremely versatile and many movements can be created for personal needs and variety,just like all other training systems the basics rule. Spend plenty of time working on the main cable exercises to build a good foundation.The biggies are front pull, overhead downward pull to front and back, Back press, single arm overhead press, single arm curl.Those alone will affect most of the upper body musculature, especially shoulders, back and arms with the chest muscles to a lesser degree. Get David's Strandpuller scrapbook from the store and check out my cable corner articles in the library. PM me your address and i will send you something also. Good luck with your training, make it a regular part of your life but do not make it your life.Education, family, relationships and other interests should all be given adequate attention for a balanced life. Let your training enhance your life, not take it over. Keep us informed of your progress.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Paul Shaw

Post by Paul Shaw » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:29 pm

The essence of the maxalding system is to achieve a full contraction of each individual muscle. This is best achieved by placing the muscle in a shortened position. The full contraction should feel like toothache and last for 2 to 3 seconds in this contracted position. The process is to be repeated by stretching the muscle and repeating the contraction. Where the instructions then fall short is by not providing the ideal number of contractions. You should be doing 20 to 30 reps if you are trying to grow the muscle.

The pulsing motion you mentioned is to my mind not part of the system. I have never found a source for this assertion that Maxick used this pulsing method.

Once you have mastered this way of performing the exercises then you can apply it to all other forms of training (weights, strands etc. ) and you will then realise how some exercises won't allow a full contraction of the muscles and are pretty useless.

Here is where the strands come into their own as not only do they allow the full contraction but due to the resistance increasing the further they are stretched they actually enhance it so are in fact the ideal exercising medium.

This is just my opinion though so take it with a pinch of salt

Paul

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:23 pm

Hi Paul,great to hear from you mate and thanks for weighing in. As someone who was trained by Court Saldo and has practiced both Maxalding and strands for many years your opinion is both valid and valued. The high reps for muscle growth makes a lot of sense. Would you suggest longer contractions for beginners until they became familiar with the controls? The suggestion for applying the same principles to other types of training is valuable and worthy of self experimentation.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Paul Shaw

Post by Paul Shaw » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:55 pm

If we trace the system back it leads from Monte Saldo (who was apprentice to Sandow) and from Sandow to Attila who trained Sandow.

Monte was performing muscle control and feats of strength long before he met Maxick. See Saldo in 1903 six years before he met
Maxick.
IMG_5351.PNG
IMG_5351.PNG (910.55 KiB) Viewed 489 times
To me the common principles are single sets of high rep isolated muscle contractions

The contractions must be full and intensified by mental effort and the full contraction is made possible by the positions of the limbs. Resistance is difficult to produce in isolation especially for a beginner using just mental effort and I would advice the use of a very light dumbbell or single strand. This gives the mind a direction move the limb from a to b and squeeze the muscle at the end.
I think that a beginner should still only hold brief contractions and intensify the contraction as he or she progresses.

In response to your comment Peter I used the maxalding principles when I trained with weights and strands choosing exercises which gave the full contractions lying triceps extensions with weights was a really good one for the full contraction.
I also used the same principles when training the grip - behind the back wrist roller being another favourite.

Happy training Paul

Talbot

Post by Talbot » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:45 am

@Maxaldist: First, did you continue your correspondence with that relative of Monte Saldo, and what was he able to tell you about the family and Maxalding?

Second: Quick contractions and fast pulsing reps are not what Maxalding is about. It is more of a slower movement, first slowly contract the muscle, until it can`t contract any harder, and then, slowly again, relax the contraction until the muscle is completely relaxed. This is akin to lifting weight slowly and relaxing the contraction slowly, to catch the benefits of the slowly released negative movement, instead of just dropping the weights. So you are slowly contracting your muscles, causing the blood in the muscles to be forced out of your muscles, taking with it the dead and damaged cells, and other waste out of your muscles, instead of trapping them in your muscles with a quick contraction. The slow, 1-2-3 count, of relaxing the muscles, then allows the blood to enter the muscles completely, bringing in fresh nutrients and hormones, to build up your muscles. It is a process that I refer to as "Tidal Blood Flow Exercise." The ebb and flood of blood out of, and back into your muscles, is the most efficient way of building up muscle tissue, in my opinion anyway. It is also why all those old time light dumbbell courses did get results.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:20 pm

Talbot and Paul,
thank you both for your thoughtful and clear explanations. You identify the real essence of the system. For me one of the many benefits of the Maxalding system is improved organic health.It is truly a system of health promotion that has no destructive element to it.
Nicholas, i trust you have taken this advise to heart as these gentlemen know of which they speak.I for one am glad to hear of someone your age who can appreciate Maxalding and its potential benefits and am glad that you can find clear and precise instruction from those who know what they are talking about. I have seen information out there on the net that is so blatantly wrong,so follow the training gems you are being given here and most of all have patience.
Paul makes a very good point about Saldo being very well versed in the art of muscle control and his Sandow, Attila connection,long before meeting Maxick. My own impression is that much of the System was in place before the two met, but Maxick being such a skilled performer was a good sales pitch. I have spoken at length with Gil Waldron about the variety of visitors to Saldo's gym from Asiatic countries, and the similarity of the physical culture methods of those countries to some of the Maxalding system. I have never really bought into the story regarding Maxick, that he developed his system alone in his bedroom over several years. A nice story but on a par with Charles Atlas watching animals at the zoo. As muscle control was already available it is more likely he was taught by someone, at least the rudiments. The two talents coming together allowed rough edges to be ironed out and a clearly defined system to be presented to the public.Of course we will never know the real truth, but what we do know is that a wonderful physical culture method was created and passed down to future generations.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates