Re: Manfred Hoerberl killed.?

Latest announcements and news from the History of Physical Culture.

Moderators: DannyBoy, Harry Hayfield, drob357

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:13 am

peter yates wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:56 pm
Thanks Ray, i asked my mate Kevin Fitzgerald, who also lives in Manchester,if he had heard anything.He said nothing on the TV or local papers about it. It really does look like some low life troll has put out a false rumor, which although i detest such things i do hope that is the case in this instance. This is not the first time such a thing has happened and i dare say will not be the last.
Regards, Peter.
In that case, I think it is best to go back to the actual posting on Iron History and report it as fake news.
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

raynobile

Post by raynobile » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:51 am

not fake news unfortunatly, eamon confirmed that manfred was killed in a pub at the end of july.only 3 lines in the local paper. seems it happens a lot in certain rough areas of manchester, hence the lack of media interest.

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:12 pm

Its sad to read about Manfred, he was a hugely likable guy, yes had massive arms,but also a great sense of humour, also very strong. it just proves as Peter will support that having big muscles is no means of self defence and that the average bodybuilder should as in the old days, learn at least some basic martial arts, not the flashy useless stuff, but the practical hits and holds. best of all i always told my grandchildren if a place looks dodgy,say a street with a gang of blokes hanging around, or if it kicks off in a pub, and lord knows i have had enough pub brawls, then its not cowardice to get out the area, sometimes it takes courage to avoid a fight, people may call you names, but better live than a soon forgotten tough guy. David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:00 pm

Thanks Ray, so it is true.What a shame,i was really hoping it was a hoax. Such a tragic waste. Yes i grew up in the Manchester area and it was pretty rough in those days.The difference being while there were guns and knives, most fights involved fists and the occasional bear bottle. These days knives are used a lot more frequently and often more than one attacker.Sign of the times, a few lines near the back page.So sad.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:19 pm

raynobile wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:51 am
not fake news unfortunatly, eamon confirmed that manfred was killed in a pub at the end of july.only 3 lines in the local paper. seems it happens a lot in certain rough areas of manchester, hence the lack of media interest.
If you happen to know the name of the pub, the street it was on and the name of the town it was on, I can e-mail the press office of Greater Manchester Police who would be happy to send us a formal press release about the incident which could be used as part of an article to mark his passing.
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

raynobile

Post by raynobile » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:46 am

sorry harry i have no info regarding name of pub etc.perhaps you could still contact police naming manfred hoerbel, they may then confirm or deny his death.would be good to get official confirmation either way. regards, ray.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:49 pm

Hi Ray, i know you are contacting Duggie Edmunds in regard to Manfred. Please let us know if you hear anything further. Very strange that no one seems to have any concrete information.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

raynobile

Post by raynobile » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:44 am

yes peter i will let you know. im still awaiting a reply. regards, ray.

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:17 am

If Manfred is dead, i am surprised the press didnt take the opportunity to slag off bodybuilding and bodybuilders. My mate Gino Edwards who used to co publish with Bob Kennedy the late and great Muscle Mag International said he knew manfred, agreed with most of us what a nice guy he was or is, but knew nothing of the rumour , so we wait for further evidence. I would have thought if alive Manfred would have quashed the story in any case, so my feeling is its true?? David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

dassaheza

Post by dassaheza » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:39 am

Terrible situation.