Reg park, speech and posing, Toronto 1988

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderators: DannyBoy, peter yates, Harry Hayfield

Tom K

Reg park, speech and posing, Toronto 1988

Post by Tom K » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:54 am

I hope you enjoy this, I thought the last posing he did was in 1980 Mr Olympia.

Fantastic shape but a even better speech from the great man.

Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/AFmtpZPX20Q

raynobile

Re: Reg park, speech and posing, Toronto 1988

Post by raynobile » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:12 am

thanks tom. reg gave a nice tribute to grimek in his speech.also displayed quiete a physique for someone of 60.came accross as a very level headed and intelligent man. with a good work ethic. says its not about winning on the stage. its about the training leading up to the contest.meaning the enjoyment you get from your workouts. wise words indeed.

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:35 am

Reg was a great bloke, did you know, like Grimek, despite the huge volume of mail, he (and JCG) answered personally all mail, in Regs case in long hand. letters to treasure. I asked both Reg and Grimek how did they manage to cope with it, and both said they appreciated the fans and often just wrote a few lines on the back of the correspondents own letter and signed it, It seems everyone was happy as to get a genuine signed note from your idol is amazing. I have all of Regs letters, some i have copied and are on the site along with a lot of other mail. Reg was a great communicator didnt charge for his autograph and thereby never lost his fans . Where Reg went wrong in later life in contests was he slimmed down too much, lost a lot of size/bulk as he thought the views of the judges were in favour of lighter blokes like Gironda, it was a mistake and cost Reg a couple of wins. Last time i saw him was a few weeks before he died at the OHF Awards in London, he came up and gave me a man hug, thanked me for all the articles i had written about him. His legacy lives on with Jon Jon. David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

Harrisal

Post by Harrisal » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:23 pm

Those two guys were class acts. No one does that nowadays. Everyone seems to take fans for granted.

Handson

Post by Handson » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:25 am

I have an example of contrasting personalities -this time regarding boxers.
Just over thirty years ago I was heading for the station after some business in London when coming towards me was a very large chap in a white tracksuit with an attractive blonde on his arm. “You’re George Foreman aren’t you ?” I said and with an affable grin he shook my hand. We spoke at some length about the boxing game and he said why don’t you come to the Hotel and meet Smokin’ Joe and Muhammad?
If the ‘brick’ mobile phone I was carrying had had a camera -the latter were still 10 years in the future - I wouldn’t have hesitated but thanked this very personable man and reluctantly went on my way with his autograph on the bus timetable I was carrying.
Several years later one of my nephews returned from the USA and showed me a photo of him taken with Mike Tyson, costing $100. “Where’s his autograph ?” I asked.
My nephew replied “he wanted another $100 for that which I didn’t have on me and was too much anyway.”
Regards
Handson
Attachments
George Foreman at Ritz 19 October 1989.jpg
George Foreman at Ritz 19 October 1989.jpg (842.81 KiB) Viewed 1558 times

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:02 pm

Tom K wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:54 am
I hope you enjoy this, I thought the last posing he did was in 1980 Mr Olympia.

Fantastic shape but a even better speech from the great man.

Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/AFmtpZPX20Q
Thanks Tom,
just got around to seeing this.Terrific,what an authentic and humble man he was. So different than the puffed up egos that strut around on the stage today.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:08 pm

Handson wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:25 am
I have an example of contrasting personalities -this time regarding boxers.
Just over thirty years ago I was heading for the station after some business in London when coming towards me was a very large chap in a white tracksuit with an attractive blonde on his arm. “You’re George Foreman aren’t you ?” I said and with an affable grin he shook my hand. We spoke at some length about the boxing game and he said why don’t you come to the Hotel and meet Smokin’ Joe and Muhammad?
If the ‘brick’ mobile phone I was carrying had had a camera -the latter were still 10 years in the future - I wouldn’t have hesitated but thanked this very personable man and reluctantly went on my way with his autograph on the bus timetable I was carrying.
Several years later one of my nephews returned from the USA and showed me a photo of him taken with Mike Tyson, costing $100. “Where’s his autograph ?” I asked.
My nephew replied “he wanted another $100 for that which I didn’t have on me and was too much anyway.”
Regards
Handson
Hi Handson, thanks for sharing this with us. I have heard from others over here what a decent,down to earth guy Foreman was. I remember meeting Louis Martin as a 12 year old kid, and how kind and gracious he was to me,asking about my training and giving tips and encouragement.A real gent as many were in days gone by.Like Tyson most of the Bodybuilding 'stars' of today charge to have photos taken and for autographs. People seems to forget there are no 'stars' without the fans.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates