Who were the oldest physical culturists that ever lived?

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderator: peter yates

peter yates

Re: Who were the oldest physical culturists that ever lived?

Post by peter yates » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:30 am

Thanks David, looking forward to this.Yes you are right,lost a few good ones in the past couple of years,let's appreciate those we still have left.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

drob357
Site Admin

Post by drob357 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:47 am

David Gentle asked me to publish the following info on Charles Atlas.
https://www.davidgentle.com/atlasc.pdf

David is currently compiling a list of the oldest physical culturists that will be later published on our website.
Diane Robert
Chief Librarian/Site Administrator
https://davidgentle.com

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:28 pm

Thanks David and Diane, here are a few more i came up with.
Sig Klein 85, Vic Boff 85,Bob Hoffman 87,Tommy Inch 82, Bill Hunt 80, Karl Norberg 90, Bill Harris 99, Milo Steinborn 86, Charles Atlas 80, Fred Massaro 89. John Gilmour was still powerlifting and alive in 2014 at age 92 but not sure if he is still with us now.
My own view point is that the length of our lives is more to do with luck [accidents and infections] and genetics than anything else.People have often asked me if exercises will make you live longer, My reply is maybe not but it will make your life better. Many of those i know who have trained all of their lives did so until almost the time of passing or only suffered a short illness.So to me quality of life is more important that length of life.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Mobster

Post by Mobster » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:35 am

Of note, if it hasn't been said, is the link between most of the older athletes (with one or two exceptions) being light to middle weight. To be blunt there aren't many 300lb 90-year-olds on the list. It's one thing to lift weights and or exercise, which by it's very definition is limited to short bursts of effort over a n hour or two a day vs your body having to deal with the stress of the extra bodyweight all day and every day.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:22 am

Good point Steve. Those who did live longer reduced their weight as they got older.Then of course there is a difference between a 6' 6" strongman competitor who weighs 300+lb and and is a lot more active than a 5' 8" bodybuilder or powerlifter weighing the same who does next to no cardio. Still the organic system has a lot more to deal with when weight is above normal for that person.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:23 pm

Another for the list, Olympic weightlifting champion Frank Spellman 94.
Peter Yates

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:52 am

More for the list, Olympic weightlifting champions Frank Spellman 94, Tommy Kono 86,Chuck Vinci 85 and Pete George who is still with us at 90.From Australia we had Percy Cerutty who passed at 80.
Peter Yates

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:55 am

Mobster wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:35 am
Of note, if it hasn't been said, is the link between most of the older athletes (with one or two exceptions) being light to middle weight. To be blunt there aren't many 300lb 90-year-olds on the list. It's one thing to lift weights and or exercise, which by it's very definition is limited to short bursts of effort over a n hour or two a day vs your body having to deal with the stress of the extra bodyweight all day and every day.
A couple who were heavier than normal and lived a bit longer were Doug Hepburn 74,who may have lived longer had he sought medical assistance in time,and Bert Assirati 82.
Peter Yates

Mobster

Post by Mobster » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:53 am

peter yates wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:55 am
Mobster wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:35 am
A couple who were heavier than normal and lived a bit longer were Doug Hepburn 74,who may have lived longer had he sought medical assistance in time,and Bert Assirati 82.
The other name, previously mentioned, was Norb?? What did he weigh?

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:01 am

Steve, i think at his heaviest 230lb, i know he was much lighter than many of the heavyweights he went up against.Extremely strong man and great technical lifter who never seemed to receive the credit he deserved.Reduced his weight and kept on exercising after he retired.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates