Who were the oldest physical culturists that ever lived?

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderator: peter yates

peter yates

Re: Who were the oldest physical culturists that ever lived?

Post by peter yates » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:27 pm

Just reading over the Don Dorans articles posted by Tom a name popped up that we had missed Spencer Churchill.Spencer is still alive an well and 91 years of age. John Gilmour was 92 in 2014 so if he is still with us he will be 98 now.I have not been able to find out if he is still actually around,i hope so. Looking forward to getting a complete list, i feel anyone 80 and over should be included. Thanks to Daryll for thinking of this project.BTW Don Dorans lived to 87.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

drob357
Site Admin

Post by drob357 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:28 am

Greetings,
David worked tirelessly preparing a comprehensive list of the "oldest physical culturists". He asked me to invite Forum members to review the list and include their feedback along with additional listings. This list will be used as a research document that will be made available to the public in the form of an eBook. As it is currently a 'working document', we invite Forum members to contact me via email and I will forward you David's list for your input. You can reach me at drobert@davidgentle.com

Thank you.
Diane Robert
Chief Librarian/Site Administrator
https://davidgentle.com

dhartnet

Post by dhartnet » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:43 am

Yup, was going to mention Fred (thanks for doing so Peter) a very unique guy who trained right up to his sudden death.
Was in the gym w/ him daily for many years, used to go to PL meets with him, etc.

https://www.eagletribune.com/news/new_h ... e0b52.html
---------
~Dave

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:50 pm

Yes Dave, certainly an inspiration. Hope you had a great birthday. Can you PM me your email address please?
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:03 pm

psychologist wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:30 pm
Bill Good was 96 this is a good one for the list

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/174 ... eisey-good
Harry the oldest was 95, and Walter 93 i believe. Bill was a 7th day Adventist so i assume he too was a vegetarian who more than likely included eggs and dairy in his diet.Not sure about the other two.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:53 am

Hi Gang, As Diane mentions elsewhere, i have sent her an A to Z, list of about 300 pc personalities births and deaths, of course, some mistakes, although i checked most via other sources, Ask Diane for the list then edit it to fit in any of yourown finds and extra info, the idea being it can eventually become a ref ence source for historians, so it must be correct, please take a look at the list if you can. I have as isay listed about 300, but left many out on purpose as, no disrespect but a lot would not be well know enough to fit in the files. David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:11 am

Thank David, will do.
Peter Yates

Jarett Hulse

Post by Jarett Hulse » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:20 pm

Interesting thread!

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:06 am

Come on guys, get stuck in and obtain my basic copy for you to add your contributions, then Diane can make a feature of it, some pix would also be nice. David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:26 am

Both David an myself have submitted lists to Diane who is now putting together a more detailed list. If you have any names you would like to add please send them to Diane. Age at time of passing and DOB/DOD if available are requested.David's list is for those who have passed at all ages, mine just includes 80 and upward for now. Just from what we have now, and many more to be included, it is clear that many of the old timers did live reasonably long lives into their 80s and 90s. Also quite a few were still training up until they passed away.We hope to have a complete and accurate list in time. Please help if you can.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates