Octogenarian update

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderator: peter yates

peter yates

Re: Octogenarian update

Post by peter yates » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:02 am

Thanks to John Corlett over on the Iron History forum i found out that 1940s bodybuilder Bill Trumbo is alive and well and still working out at 91 years young.Trumbo was one of the muscle beach crowd in the 1940s and famous for his rib cage expansion and chest to waist differential.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:40 pm

peter yates wrote:Thanks to John Corlett over on the Iron History forum i found out that 1940s bodybuilder Bill Trumbo is alive and well and still working out at 91 years young.Trumbo was one of the muscle beach crowd in the 1940s and famous for his rib cage expansion and chest to waist differential.
Regards,Peter.
Thanks for sharing this Peter, it's great to hear! :)

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:16 am

Thanks to Danny for letting me know that actor/bodybuilder William Smith is still training at 84.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:01 am

peter yates wrote:Thanks to Danny for letting me know that actor/bodybuilder William Smith is still training at 84.
Regards,Peter.
Oh not a problem Peter! :)

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:31 pm

Judging by information on the Iron History forum Len Sell is alive and well and living in Australia and by all accounts still training. He will be 82 on February 3rd.
Regards, Peter.
Peter Yates

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:49 pm

peter yates wrote:Judging by information on the Iron History forum Len Sell is alive and well and living in Australia and by all accounts still training. He will be 82 on February 3rd.
Regards, Peter.
Great, I'm glad to hear that about Len Sell. Thanks for the info Peter. :)

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:07 am

Another man still training is James Arrington.He began training at 15 and is now 84 years old and is in the 2017 Guinness book of records as the worlds oldest pro bodybuilder. He won the 2016 IFBB pro masters event for 70 and up in Pittsburgh PA.God bless him.
Peter.
Peter Yates

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:35 am

peter yates wrote:Another man still training is James Arrington.He began training at 15 and is now 84 years old and is in the 2017 Guinness book of records as the worlds oldest pro bodybuilder. He won the 2016 IFBB pro masters event for 70 and up in Pittsburgh PA.God bless him.
Peter.
I hadn't heard about Jim Arrington winning the IFBB Pittsburgh Pro Masters 70+, so congratulations & much respect to him. Thanks for the info Peter, I honestly thought Jim had retired, but it's good to know he's still going strong & competing.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:21 pm

Another gentleman still training in his eighties who most certainly deserves a mention is Jim Bartlett. Jim was a driving force in UK physical culture and was involved in many related activities for most of his life. Weightlifting, powerlifting,wrestling, NABBA contest organizing and running a gym are just some of the things Jim has done,but above all these he is best known for his tireless promotion of the sport of steel strandpulling. David Gentle stated that without the dedication and involvement of Jim and his family[all champions] strandpulling would have died out as a sport.Jim still trains with his trusty springs in his nice backyard shed. A more detailed account of his life is in the works.
Regards, Peter.
Peter Yates

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:55 am

peter yates wrote:Another gentleman still training in his eighties who most certainly deserves a mention is Jim Bartlett. Jim was a driving force in UK physical culture and was involved in many related activities for most of his life. Weightlifting, powerlifting,wrestling, NABBA contest organizing and running a gym are just some of the things Jim has done,but above all these he is best known for his tireless promotion of the sport of steel strandpulling. David Gentle stated that without the dedication and involvement of Jim and his family[all champions] strandpulling would have died out as a sport.Jim still trains with his trusty springs in his nice backyard shed. A more detailed account of his life is in the works.
Regards, Peter.
Thanks for the update Peter. Much respect to Jim Bartlett! :)