Health and Strength League

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderators: Harry Hayfield, peter yates, DannyBoy

drob357
Site Admin

Re: Health and Strength League

Post by drob357 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:39 am

Thanks for that Tom. David i hope you can find the file and post it in the Library, i am sure it will be very interesting. I knew several people who had been league members and had also attended the summer camps.At one time there were League members allover the world. In the 30's Bob Hoffman started something similar with his Strength and Health League and was given the idea so i have heard from George Jowett. Anyway look forward to hearing more about this.
Regards,Peter.
Hi All,
I found a copy of David's 4-part series on this subject and posted a copy in the Strength Blog of the HOPC Library. Also see my post in the "Announcements" section of this Forum.
Diane Robert
Chief Librarian/Site Administrator
http://www.davidgentle.com

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:38 pm

Hi Diane, thanks for posting David's report on the development of H&S magazine.What was being discussed though was the H&S league which was an offshoot from the magazine.Hopefully David will get information from Malcolm Whyatt.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:11 pm

Will do my best to encourage Malcolm to let me use his amazing lists of not only the H&S league, but alsoNABBA, and you will have some suprises if it goes out as written, ie. some skeletons in the cupboard.Also out there must be Ivan Dunbar's material for a book he was writing, with a lot of pix i sent him, sadly he died, but i am hoping his daughter will let me buy up his manuscript and get it out on our site.. David. Re Health and Strength, now i am getting a bit miffed/annoyed as they hold loads of my photos, several articles, not only mine, but ones other people sent me to use, eg. Johnny Fitness and also one from a top wrestler, finally i used to give them top books for prizes to encourage subs, and the last one i sent in for free was a signed one from Jack La Lanne, which i now wish i had never sent, does anyone live around the Aximinster area and their home address? and could give them a visit, if not, i may have to take the muscle mob around if Mobster allows me? David practising ludo, the gentle art .
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
http://davidgentle.com

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:17 pm

[attachment=0]IMG.jpg A little league humor ...Very Little...
Attachments
IMG.jpg
IMG.jpg (164.22 KiB) Viewed 56 times