Are Forums a dying breed?

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderators: Harry Hayfield, peter yates, DannyBoy

Tarnow

Re: Are Forums a dying breed?

Post by Tarnow » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:02 pm

Thanks Peter. I am aware of Gil and Arnold having come across them when searching maxalding and strandpulling. One of the reasons I am interested in these methods of training is precisely because of the safety and longevity of them. How many people are doing weight training into old age? Also the physique these methods produce is much more natural and pleasing to the eye. I know the body steel expander use can produce from my father. Who exclusively used them. I will switch to that topic for future questions. But could you give your opinion please Peter(or anyone else) on the front lateral raise. Is it the ultimate isolation exercise for shoulder width, or redundant if you back press? Thanks

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:39 am

Hi Mark, i assume you mean holding the strands in front of the thighs and then bringing the arms out the side and not raising to the front. So my opinion, and it is based on personal experience and training others, is that for developing the best overall shoulder width and thickness a combination of front pull and back press work best. These really work the whole shoulder girdle and upper back imparting a rugged look to the physique and obviously you can use the most resistance on these two.That is not to say that the lateral raise is not a good exercise and i would at some stage include them into a program along with the single arm overhead press, this will insure all round development. Speaking of single arm work, if you can attach on end of your cable to the side and start the lateral raise with the pulling hand in front of the opposite thigh you will have increased range of motion and more work for the deltoid. Sure you have to work one arm at a time but you can basically just go back and forth between arms until sets completed. Another exercise you may want to try down the line and one i feel is a corker, is to do a front pull and at the chest turn the palms down, now really resist the pull and slowly bring arms down in front of the thighs, then repeat for about 5 reps.What you are doing in effect is a negative lateral raise,something you could not do with DB's. Do go steady with this though and start light with about a resistance you could pull for a couple of reps upward and as you get used to the movement increase resistance.If you do it this way you will not strain the shoulders. Hope this is of help.It would be wonderful if you could write something about your father and his training.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Tarnow

Post by Tarnow » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:50 pm

Thanks Peter. I asked a similar question on the strandpulling forum on Tapatalk. Got a similar reply. That as good as the front lateral raise is, the back press is king. About my father. He is 76 years old and still does some expander training a few times a week. Using his old Terry expanders. He has never been to a gym, but managed to build a muscely ripped upper body by steel expander use alone. Doing exercises like fcp, ohp, bicep curl and one arm press. It shows were the chest expander excels as others have stated in developing the arms, shoulders and upper back. As I know his body was 100% standalone strandpulling. You can just do it by itself for a super upper body. It is also great for longevity of training. We are from Redditch were Terry springs were based. And although they no longer exist, you can still buy chest expander springs from a local company called springmasters.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:49 pm

Hi Mark, thanks for the info on your dad, yes he is one of the many that proved the effectiveness of strand training. As you know at one time pretty much all of the old timers used them, even if they were primarily weightlifters. Sandow, Inch, Mead, Leiderman, Atlas, Grimek, Stanko, Park, Sipes to name just a few all included them in their training and most of them also did muscle control. Stanko by the way claimed that the very best exercise to widen the shoulders was the back press.I have an article by him somewhere i will have to dig out.Thanks for letting us know about the place for buying strands,could you give us an address?
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Tarnow

Post by Tarnow » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:53 pm

Hi Peter. Yes I know all the old timers did strandpulling. I think the three methods of bodyweight, muscle control and strand pulling can be used for life. Not to denigrate weight training as I have done weights for years and enjoyed it. But I think it is a young mans game and has a higher chance of injury. Also it isn't as convenient as the other methods which lend themselves to consistency. I am not a stranger to expanded training having been exposed to it from my dad and did some cable training with my weight training when I was young. But the ironmind cables I used were rubbish, kept breaking and were frustrating(should have used steel). Also I was focused on compound movements and cables seemed isolation exercises to me. Anyway I am returning to them as a missing method. As as great as bodyweight compound exercises are unless you are doing handstand pushups(I don't) then there is room for specific shoulder work. Steve stanko article is great. I read it in tapatalk forum. Also in other sources of a Kennedy book and a hardgainer magazine(apologies for vague reference) the back press is deemed the best shoulder exercise in existence! The steel springs can still be purchased from springmasters Redditch. If you Google that with exercise springs you will find the link. They have springs from 5lb to 50lb, and they are the same as Terry springs with the cord inside. I can supply the address if you want. But do you live in UK Peter? Regards Mark

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:21 pm

Thanks Mark, no i live in New York but visit the UK every year. My nephew could get the springs for me and i could bring them back with me to save on postage. While i too am a big spring fan i have found the surgical tubing with the HOOK system to be strong and resilient, also the quick change of cables is a plus. I have used lifeline cables and the originals were pretty good except that they would weaken over time.When new people took over they became crap and would always go at the end that fit into the handle very quickly. I know you will know Bruce Tackett from the strand pulling forum, which i now know to be the old YUKU forum. Some great information on there for sure.Thanks for your participation Mark, nice to have you on board.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Tarnow

Post by Tarnow » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:07 pm

Hi Peter. Yes they wouldn't post to America. As this topic was brought up on the strand pulling board(yuku). But you are lucky to have the Hook. I've never seen anyone say a bad word about it. Also Mike browns Samson handles are great too. In the past when I got fed up with my ironmind cables being so cumbersome to change resistance. And the cables snapping all the time. I very nearly bit the bullet and ordered a Samson set(expensive). And only last year when I was thinking about strandpulling again nearly brought the Hook from Bruce. Although I don't own one, to me the Hook and it's cables looks to be the best system and value around. But with many springs, and several sets of handles I am well equipped now. But if you are starting from nothing the Hook is the way to go. Unless you have the steel preference. Having used rubber and steel. I find I'm liking the steel more at the moment. Front pull is much more enjoyable, but back press require a shirt to stop pinching. Anyway thanks for the welcome. Regards Mark