Squat every day

Topics that focus on building strength and muscle using old school and modern training techniques. Post questions, share training tips and programs.

Moderator: sticksb

chrallen67

Re: Squat every day

Post by chrallen67 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:21 am

I can't squat at all unfortunately. I look at pics of my as a child and I had knobby knees. I turned into a sprinter, with kind of skinny legs at the knee area, then ok upper Quads. Anyways, I loved squating. I got away from it for a year or two and was just doing DB at sides squats and Deadliifts (as a Home trainer). Then didn't do DB squats for a few months. Then wanted to get good at Front Squats as my copy of Olympic Weight L. Well, with heels raised, I think I went down to low too many times (Not even with much weight, like 100-135 lbs). The pain in my left knee became unbearable. I tried Ben Gay type, knee sleaves. Nothing worked. That was about 3-4 months ago. I will probably try again with lighter weight and not going down far. No problems Deadlifting right now, but even DB at Sides squats my left knee is in pain at rep 6. I also can do things like Leg ext/leg curls/ and single leg squats on my Total Gym...just not Free weight squats.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:12 pm

Hey Chris,
i hear you mate. Squat if you can but if you cannot find some other way to work the legs. Main thing now is to let your knees heal. The exercises you can do will bring blood flow and healing potential to the area.It may not have been you going down too low that caused the issue but that your heels were elevated,some can do this, others cannot safely.Anyway continue to work with what you can and i would advise higher reps for a while to really pump the blood in the area. When the pain has gone you could try flat foot, squats W/O weight and go for higher reps, even work up to a hundred,then add the bar only and gradually add weight testing the knee as you go and stop if there is any pain.This is how i got back to 12 reps with 310lb after a broken leg and torn ligaments and i have helped quite a few others with knee pain. Even if you cannot get back to regular squats you already know many ways to work your legs. Good luck.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

dhartnet

Post by dhartnet » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:34 am

I still love to squat, but these days I only do it twice a month.
I alternate squatting and deadlifting every other week.

So each month:

week:

1 - squat
2 - DL
3 - Squat
4 - DL

Works well for me at this age, takes very long for me to recover...
---------
~Dave

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:01 pm

Hi Dave,
i only squat heavy once a week too but i do other types of squats of varying intensities every day.These are not for building purposes but to keep my legs supple and as active rest and recuperation. This also helps with any residual soreness from squatting infrequently.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

28kgKB

Post by 28kgKB » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:15 pm

chrallen67 wrote:I can't squat at all unfortunately. I look at pics of my as a child and I had knobby knees. I turned into a sprinter, with kind of skinny legs at the knee area, then ok upper Quads. Anyways, I loved squating. I got away from it for a year or two and was just doing DB at sides squats and Deadliifts (as a Home trainer). Then didn't do DB squats for a few months. Then wanted to get good at Front Squats as my copy of Olympic Weight L. Well, with heels raised, I think I went down to low too many times (Not even with much weight, like 100-135 lbs). The pain in my left knee became unbearable. I tried Ben Gay type, knee sleaves. Nothing worked. That was about 3-4 months ago. I will probably try again with lighter weight and not going down far. No problems Deadlifting right now, but even DB at Sides squats my left knee is in pain at rep 6. I also can do things like Leg ext/leg curls/ and single leg squats on my Total Gym...just not Free weight squats.
Hey there! Just saw this! Looks like you and I have a similar issue with our left knees. I, too, have a Total Gym and sometimes use it for squats - like a hack squat slide, but I can't get enough weight on it to make it worthwhile to do. I end up tired with no pump and it feels like wasted effort.

I discovered, years ago, that the kettlebell swing loads up the posterior chain and does a really good job of beefing up the thighs if a heavy enough kettlebell is used. I prefer super high reps on these - going into the hundreds! I've gone as high as 600 reps in one workout. Nowadays, I use roughly 200-300 as my goal if I haven't been doing them for awhile.

A few months back I started back squatting again after a long layoff due to a hernia operation. Though the doc said I'd be able to do whatever I wanted to, workout wise, post surgery, such was not the case. Not only was squatting uncomfortable, it's now hurting my left knee as well. I, too, used Ben Gay, wraps and lots of warm up and all it did was inflame the knee and make it sore. Scrap squats.

It got to the point that lower body work, save for some stiff legged deadlifts (and even those are touchy) and some cafl raises were about the only thing I could do for legs. When I started back with the kettlebell swing, I found I had no pain in knees and was able to load up the legs enough to get them pumped and feeling like I did something. I added in a recumbent bike ride a couple of times a week - nothing crazy, maybe like 30-40 minutes on the bike - and that helped my knee. It works great. Your mileage may vary.

Cheers!

Talbot

Post by Talbot » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:28 pm

There is a problem with assuming that free weight squats work all the muscles in the legs. In fact they don't work the hamstrings at all, and they don't work the Rectus Femoris either. In the latter case, if you don't do exercises, that do work the RF, such as Sissy Squats, and Old Fashioned Barbell Hack Squats, then it can easily cause knee problems.

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:04 am

Free weight (bodyweight) squats can be supplemented with reverse planks
back raises and a variety of glute hamm free wight moves to round out a
weightless session and make the leg effect complete . Burpees are the cat's
pitoot on sub max days as a finisher . Try these with a weighted vest on ...