bare knuckled fistfighting.

Join the discussion group on topics related to Martial Arts, Boxing, Wrestling and MMA. Share your experience or pose questions to our Moderators.

Moderators: peter yates, David Gentle

Re: bare knuckled fistfighting.

Postby peter yates » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:19 pm

Hi Guys,
even though, i was involved with and trained with a lot of bouncers in the 70s who took part in bare knuckle fighting,and did so to work on real world self preservation techniques, i agree with Sticks and Talbot, in that i do not endorse this as a sport, martial or otherwise. While i was a fan of boxing in the early days and even now would watch a good fight, and also the old time wrestling, in general i have never been a fan of martial sports.While i find the subject of bare knuckle fighting interesting i do believe it belongs in the past. While i respected the guys i worked out with as combat masters and i did learn a lot from them on what really worked and more important what did not, many were to put it politely, thugs. They had the combat side down but no balance as in integrity, compassion and discipline.In fact some were real nut jobs. As we have seen with MMA many who take part are aggressive, loud mouthed and arrogant. This is what the kids pick up on. I cannot see BKF fighters being any less obnoxious, probably more so.As i have said before Martial arts to me are first a means of self preservation, meaning i will do what is necessary to defend myself or others as needed, secondly the arts are a means of personal discovery and hopefully a way to become a better individual. I have seen enough damage in and out of the ring.So i would prefer if it went no further than the first fight, BKF really belongs in the past.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates
peter yates

Postby sticksb » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:08 pm

Combat sports and combat discipline are two different things . One is for exploitation the other
is for the teaching of self defence and the building of confidence that leads to greater inner
peace . I attended a local MMA interclub group of sparring sessions . Screams of "KILL EM" and
"F#!k EM UP " resounded during the three bouts I managed to squirm through . There's virtually
no boxing any longer here in CNY so a few curious seniors , like myself , were in attendance .As
I was ambling out of the arena saying to myself " boy I must be getting old " I made eye contact with
another 60s something dude heading the same way . He faintly smiled , shrugged then shook his head
and hit the lot as others streamed in .I was not alone .
sticksb

Postby peter yates » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:37 pm

The Roman Colosseum!
Peter Yates
peter yates

Postby peter yates » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:39 pm

The Roman Colosseum!
Peter Yates
peter yates

Postby Quadsquat » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:16 am

its more complicated then what it appears at first glance

a bare fist can cause cuts and superficial damage to the face but a gloved fist can and does allow a constant hammering of the brain in the skull cavity
in short the skull is designed to be more then a match for any bare fist

so the changes were made to pacify the public and keep the sport respectable , also it obviously made for a more exciting sport hey follow the money

basically with gloves on your hands become real usable weapons not these silly fragile little things we use to type on internet forums

knuckle dusters of course turn anyone into killing machines irrespective of your training or lack thereof , i have a pair and given my lifting background i have often thought i could literally punch holes in walls with those (never thought of using them , rather use the 9")

nothing is ever what it seems .....what is "common knowledge" is mostly BS, mixed with money making and politics

how many boxers have died in an official boxing ring where gloves were used or worse suffered brain injuries that ruined there later lives .....in sure many globally

now how easy is it to kill someone with a bare knuckle punch (not to neck of soft tissue areas) ?

most who die in street fights die from hitting their heads ON THE PAVEMENT not from the punch

google says :

Gloves are a different matter. As you probably already know, gloves do far more to protect the hand of the puncher than they do the brain of the punched. This is less true with MMA gloves than with boxing gloves, but in both cases the glove cushions the small, fragile bones of the hand, especially with a professional tape job holding everything together underneath.

Unsheathed, the human hand really is no match for the human skull. One is designed for a myriad of delicate tasks, the other serves only to protect. Without protection for his hand, a fighter must carefully restrict his attacks to the soft body of his opponent, and a few very small portions of the head. Gloves and wraps remove the need for that caution. Far from preventing brain damage, they actually encourage a fighter to throw more recklessly, putting more power into his shots and less care into their placement.

Cuts do occur. They remain a problem in gloved boxing, but there really is no match for the damage that a clenched fist can do to an eyebrow, or the bridge of a nose. Trying too desperately to avoid this damage is a fool's errand, however. Cuts and bruises are, by and large, superficial wounds. No one likes to see a cut stoppage, or look on as the cameraman zooms in on the bloody gash that prompted the doctor to intercede--but the truth is that, down the line, fighters don't really remember these injuries. The brows may sag, or the cheeks crinkle around an old scar, but the wound heals.

Far worse are the wounds that fighters do remember, or the ones that they cannot. Boxing will always be a dangerous sport, and that is a truth that fans and fighters alike must come to terms with, but measures are always taken to protect the health of the fighters as much as possible, without damaging the integrity of the sport. Ironically, the rule to which we cling most fiercely is the one which likely causes the most lasting damage to the fighters. The headgear goes, the knockdown rule is relaxed, and the commissions and fans are perfectly willing to overlook old injuries if there is money and prestige on the line. But the gloves stay laced.
Quadsquat

Postby David Gentle » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:28 am

I found the current subject of great interest. For the best of all books on the subject without all the bull shit of the so called writers( The guvnor, Shaw etc), read BARE FISTS A World of violence where only the brutal surive. by BOB MEE. its the updated version 1998. David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
http://davidgentle.com
David Gentle

Previous

Return to Combat Arts and Sports