Pull Up Push Up Routine

Topics that focus on building strength and muscle using old school and modern training techniques. Post questions, share training tips and programs.

Moderator: sticksb

Internalfitness

Pull Up Push Up Routine

Post by Internalfitness » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:52 am

Hi all,

Could anyone suggest a good "Pull Up Push Up" routine? (My pull up station also has dip bars if that would also be a good fit into such a routine)

I wouldn't say I was an 'absolute' beginner, but let's just assume I was eh? ;)

Some years ago I did the 20 pull up challenge with a door jam bar, and through starting with negatives I got up to about 10 in a row, but never teamed it with anything else and it was a rented house (if you get my meaning).

A 3 day per week schedule would be ideal.

I daresay I could just crack on and work something out myself - but you guys are going to know FAR more than me about how best to maximise a little routine like this.

Cheers,

Richie.

sticksb

Re: Pull Up Push Up Routine

Post by sticksb » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:48 pm

Monday / Wednesday/Friday
2 sets 25 reps regular push-ups ( if 2nd set comes up short then multiple sets until 25 total )
2 sets 10 - 15 reps ( overhand grip ) pull-ups (same if you come up short set#2)
1 set 12 - 15 reps paralell bar dips
1 set forward shoulder circles with a light weight 2-5 #
1 set reverse shoulder circles (same) These are standing circles about 12" diameter.
Purchase a set of 5#(ea.)ankle weights .These can go around your wrists also for the SC
or ankles for extra weight for pull-ups.
On Wednesday pull-up with an underhand grip .Switch back and forth workout to workout.
Finish each worlout with 25-50 free weight squats and crunches or bent-knee sit-ups.
When 2 consecutive sets of 25 push-ups can be achieved then an extra resistance band
or weight vest can be employed .Enjoy IF .Any ??? send a message on the site .Sticks

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:54 pm

An addition . Hang from you chinning bar for 60 sec. at the end of your workout
Substitute hanging leg raise from time to time for sit-ups and crunches . Peter Yates
probably can still do windshield wipers (hanging leg raise with side to side each rep !

Internalfitness

Post by Internalfitness » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:29 pm

Thanks Chris,

Saw this when I got home from work and thought 'I'll read that properly later...' Then i thought, you know what, it's Monday now, I'm still in my dirty work gear, why not just have a go. The results were:

1 x 25 push ups
1 x 15 push ups
1 x 10 push ups

2 x full pull ups
3 x 1 negative pull ups
2 x full ups
3 x 1 negative pull ups
(More in me but don't want to pull the back first day out)

3 x 2 bar dips (a tin of paint and other shed debris started to get in the way) - pleasantly surprised how 'doable' these were.

12 x palm up shoulder circles (no weight)
12 x palm up reverse shoulder circles (no weight)

2 x 30 second hangs (more difficult than I thought!)

Things learned:
1. This routine is just the right side of difficult and one I think I'll stick to until I hit the numbers.
2. I need to level out the station as it is very difficult to pull up at a slight angle.
3. I need to clear more space around the station!

Happy days.

Richie.

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:27 pm

Nice work . Those bar hangs will build the grip and de load the low back .
Good #s on the first go .

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:45 pm

Hi Richie,
i will give you the routine i am doing though i only do this one day per week so you can divide the exercises on different days and do more sets if that works.Pretty much same as Sticks routine and the resistance additions too.
free or roman chair Squats, 2-3 sets work up to 30 reps each set then add weight vest if available or increase reps.
pull ups palms away or parallel, 2-4 sets building up to 12 reps then add resistance.
parallel bar dips, 2-4 sets up to 20 reps alternating with pull ups.
Lunge squats, 2 sets each leg building up to 20 reps then add resistance.
Close grip chin, same as pull ups, alternated with
push up, either regular hand spacing or close, same as dips.
Sit ups, hanging leg raises or ab wheel 2-3 sets building up to 20 reps.
Bar hang, building up to 2 minutes.
I think between what you got from Sticks and me you will build a good routine to suit you.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:00 pm

IMG.jpg
IMG.jpg (109.57 KiB) Viewed 517 times

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:41 pm

sticksb wrote:
IMG.jpg
Hi Chris, totally agree. Great investment for the guy with limited space or equipment or who just wants to work on calisthenics. Body weight training is great but just like all training must be progressive. Beyond a certain number of reps added resistance is needed, the above plus bands fit the bill nicely.Also great for a good power walk.
Peter Yates

28kgKB

Post by 28kgKB » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:16 pm

During my divorce a few years ago, and when money and resources were limited, and because I NEEDED to train, I had a enough money to purchase a really solid door way chinning bar that mounted to the molding of a doorway. Because this apparatus was really strong I was able to suspend my gymnastics rings from the chin up bar. I was able to put together an awesome of routine of the following:

I simply did 10 sets of pullups alternating the width of the grip, so I started out wide grip as far apart as my hands would go within the confines of the doorway - perhaps, what 28" or so - and then on each successive set I brought my hands in closer. The way the bar was built it had three such hand spacings, so I just used those until 10 sets was completed of as many reps as I could get. If I started wide on one workout, I'd start with a medium grip the next workout and a narrow chin up style grip on the third workout of the week. Whatever I finished with in one workout, I'd do the next grip on the successive workout. I then did my pushups on the rings for 10 sets of 10 or more reps.

I had a few kettlebells too, which I did swings and snatches with. I also used the KB's for clean and press. Those five movements I did, three days a week; Monday, Wednesday, Friday. I did the KB work in the mornings before work; a few hundred, yes like 400-600 HUNDRED, swings in a Tabata styled drill, followed by the snatches and during the evenings, after work, I did the pullups and push ups with KB clean and press.

Worked like a champ! I don't know why I don't use that routine now. I believe I was in the best shape of my life using that simple routine. The pump I get from the bodyweight exercises is phenomenal. I don't know why those exercises feel so good, but they do.

J

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:08 pm

Hi John,
Yes mate that is a great all round routine and just goes to show you do not need much to get the job done. A few exercises that hit the whole body and the willingness to work at them. I agree there is something unique in the way B/W exercise feel and make you feel. Well you have a great template there whenever you want it. Doing the KB C&P at the moment myself, loving it.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates