The World's Strongest Man (& other strongman competitions)

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderators: DannyBoy, peter yates, Harry Hayfield

peter yates

Re: The World's Strongest Man (& other strongman competitions)

Post by peter yates » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:52 pm

Thanks again Danny, glad you are keeping us updated on the world of Strongman. Some amazing talent in the game right now.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:50 pm

2019 World's Strongest Man spoilers ahead, so please don't read any further if you wanna wait to see the results when they show the competition on TV.

*****SPOILER ALERT*****

The qualifying rounds are over and the 10 strongman who'll compete in tomorrow's final for the World's Strongest Man title are:
Brian Shaw
Mateusz Kieliszkowski
Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson
Konstantine Janashia
Adam Bishop
Luke Stoltman
Tom Stoltman
Trey Mitchell III
J-F Caron
Martins Licis

Time will tell, but this final and which 3 it'll be who make the podium seems to be more wide open than recent years. All things considered, healthy Brian Shaw is probably the favorite to win WSM this year. Thor's of course been on one heck of a run the last couple of years, but he unfortunately hurt his foot in the first event of qualifying and though he was able to make the final, with the final taking place all in one day, it's questionable how well he'll be able to do. I don't doubt Thor has it in him to win & will do his best though. In any case, Thor's injury opens things up for sure. Aside from Brian & Thor, I could definitely see Mateusz & Martins taking the title. We'll soon see. I gotta say it's so cool to see both Luke & Tom Stoltman in the final and it's historic because this will be the first time brothers have competed in a WSM final. Congratulations to the Stoltmans on making history!

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:17 pm

Hi Danny,
thanks for the update on WSM.Yes i agree the 4 front runners would be Brian, Thor, Mateusz and Martins, but being Strongman anything can happen as we know.The Stoltman brothers being in the final together is great and i wish them both well.Also great to see Adam Bishop make the final,he has come up the ranks and even though is one of the lighter competitors is very strong and athletic with a big heart.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:48 pm

Spoilers for the 2019 World's Strongest Man final ahead!

*****SPOILER ALERT*****

A big congratulations to Martins Licis on winning the 2019 World's Strongest Man competition! :D I haven't seen full final results yet, but the podium finishers were: 1st Martins Licis, 2nd Mateusz Kieliszkowski & 3rd Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson. Bravo to all three men and much respect to Thor for pushing through & battling back to make the podium after being injured in the first event of qualifying.

Eddie Hall with Mateusz, Martins & Thor.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:07 pm

Thanks Danny,i knew it was only a matter of time before Martins got the title,just did not think it would be so soon. Congratulations to all three who placed and for sure Thor will be back and in top form will no doubt chalk up another win.Looking forward to seeing the whole contest.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates