The Best Physical Culturists of the 1910's

Stay tuned! This Forum will be officially launched Dec. 31, 2018 by Moderator, Harry Hayfield.
Best Physical Culturists representing each decade during the past 100 years.

Moderators: Harry Hayfield, drob357

Harry Hayfield

The Best Physical Culturists of the 1910's

Post by Harry Hayfield » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:36 am

Overview
By the start of the 1910's, physical culture was widely known with several physical culturists enjoying celebrity status thanks to appearing in the theatres of London's West End and New York's Broadway displaying their feats of strength and muscular development. However, the decade would see a pause to the success with the First World War taking part from 1914 - 1918 during which a large number of those physical culturists went to the front.

Rules
1) All nominees must have been born prior to 1890
2) All nominees must have come to public prominence between 1910 and 1919
3) Nominations will be accepted in text (name of physical culturist), images or video (labelled with the name, country of birth and date of image)
4) Nominations will close at 0000 PST on January 8th 2019
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

Internalfitness

Re: The Best Physical Culturists of the 1910's

Post by Internalfitness » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:22 pm

Quite tricky this, but I have 2 names to put forward and are connected by a third:

Max Sick - Born 1882.
Came to prominence IN 1910

And, most importantly, looked like this:
Maxick_1910.jpg
Maxick_1910.jpg (18.66 KiB) Viewed 1202 times
2nd nomination:

Alan. P. Mead - Can't find a D.O.B. and may indeed have been born after 1890.
Lost a leg during the Great War but found purpose with muscle control under the tutelage of Monte Saldo (who of course founded Maxalding along with Max Sick).

A magnificent upper body for the time:
alanmead1.jpg
alanmead1.jpg (11.79 KiB) Viewed 1202 times
Richie.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:42 pm

Two really good ones there Richie.However i find it incredibly difficult to pick out a favorite,soon as i think of one another comes to mind. Those two would certainly be on my list though.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:05 pm

peter yates wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:42 pm
Two really good ones there Richie.However i find it incredibly difficult to pick out a favorite,soon as i think of one another comes to mind. Those two would certainly be on my list though. Regards,Peter.
Nominations close at 0000 PST on January 8th, so get that thinking cap in gear.
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:15 am

Joe Nordquest

Adolph E. Nordquest/Young Sandow

Hector Décarie

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:59 pm

At the close of nominations, the duly nominated candidates are:

Hector Decarie (FRA)
Joe Nordquest (USA)
Adolph Nordquest (USA)
Max Sick (AUT)

I have had to disallow the nomination of Alan Mead as he came to fame in the 1920's. Between now and January 22nd I will post detailed profiles of the four duly nominated candidates so that when the vote opens on the 23rd people will be able to form their opinions on their merits, physical strength and physique,

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:39 am

Hector Decarie (France)

His physical strength and especially his competitive spirit made him a tough champion to beat. At the time of his historic meeting with Cyr, he had just won a series of 30 win against the most famous champoins in the other corners of the world.

Born on the 27th March 1880, he only measured 5ft 7 when fully grown and weighed a very small 190lbs, despite this though he had a 32 inch waist, 47 inch chest and 18 inch biceps, a body shape that never deserted him until his retirement. This may have something to do with his growing up and by the age of 13 he was already making quite a name for himself having beaten fellow schoolmates up to five years older than him and even beating some adults at their own game.

His success with the crowds was very great. Having successively defeated the giant Rolando, the famous German champion at the time, Albert Auvray, the French champion in 1903, and Rousseau the Quebec champion in 1904, Decarie made a triumphal tour through the United States, which in 1906 brought him to the famous and moving meeting with the colossus of Napierville, Louis Cyr. Certes, the age had undermined the Vieillessant champion.But Décarie, by his exceptional strength and his outstanding athletic qualities, made for many years honor to the crown which had been given to him by the strongest man of all time.

Hector Decarie first started raising eyebrows in 1904 when he Bent-pressed 317 pounds. A few years later he met Louis Cyr in a famous challenge match. Despite the fact that they tied in the contest, Cyr passed on his title of “World’s Strongest Man” to his young challenger. It was a fitting mantle since Decarie ended up surpassing several of Cyr’s feats.
image.png
image.png (229.64 KiB) Viewed 1104 times

Handson

Post by Handson » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:37 pm

Internalfitness wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:22 pm
Quite tricky this, but I have 2 names to put forward and are connected by a third:

Max Sick - Born 1882.
Came to prominence IN 1910

And, most importantly, looked like this:

Maxick_1910.jpg

2nd nomination:

Alan. P. Mead - Can't find a D.O.B. and may indeed have been born after 1890.
Lost a leg during the Great War but found purpose with muscle control under the tutelage of Monte Saldo (who of course founded Maxalding along with Max Sick).

A magnificent upper body for the time:

alanmead1.jpg

Richie.
Richie

In answer to your comment about being uncertain of the date of birth of Alan P.Mead.

He was born on 6 April 1894 in London.

His occupation was a solicitor in Greenwich in the 1920s & 1930s & presumably until his retirement.

His occupation isn't surprising as he came from along line of eminent London judges.

Regards

Handson

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:46 pm

Joe Nordquest (USA)

http://ditillo2.blogspot.com/2018/01/jo ... ecord.html (A written record of Joe Nordquest's World Record from March 1915)

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:48 pm

Adolph Nordquest (USA)

(Source: David Webster in "Bodybuilding")

Adolph Nordquest was called the American Sandow because of his striking resemblance to Eugen Sandow. He did a posing and balancing act with Joe Lambert which became extremely popular and was well featured in physical culture journals. He was also one of Prof. Attila's early pupils. They called their act 'Young Sandow & Lambert', cashing in on his resemblance to the continental strongman. Adolph was also a good wrestler and had exceptional abilities as a runner. He wrote a small book for The Police Gazette (under the name of 'Viking') on exercises and exercising and his own physique was a good testimony to his methods. At 5'8" he weighed 200lb. with Neck 18", Chest 49", Waist 35", Arm 17.5", Forearm 15.75", Thigh 26" and Calf 16.5"
image.png
image.png (19.35 KiB) Viewed 1089 times