The Best Physical Culturists of the 1920's

Stay tuned! This Forum will be officially launched Dec. 31, 2018 by Moderator, Harry Hayfield.
Best Physical Culturists representing each decade during the past 100 years.

Moderators: Harry Hayfield, drob357

Handson

Re: The Best Physical Culturists of the 1920's

Post by Handson » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:19 pm

Peter

I note that you mention in your comments a time interval up to the 1960s. I wonder if that’s because you were thinking what I was.

A cynic might say that to trespass into dates much beyond the late 1950s perhaps the very early 1960s in assessing physical elegance is fraught with controversy over bodybuilders and athletes who have been prepared to juggle with their tombstones by training with a dumbell in one hand and a hypodermic in the other.

Arguably it would it is as inappropriate as assessing grossly distorted silicone-enhanced bimbos versus ‘naturals' in a beauty contest.

Handson

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:48 pm

Hi Handson,
yes that is a factor as from then on it becomes increasingly blurred as to who was or who was not chemically assisted. On the other hand this was a time when bodybuilders became less likely to do weightlifting or hand-balancing etc. and lifters less likely to incorporate bodybuilding or hand-balancing etc. Also with the emerging sport of powerlifting specialization on one or the other became more common and continued from then on with less all round strength athletes as a result.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:02 pm

Interesting posts . Current HC bodybuilding is on the decline via attendance
promotion , publication . No history or romance connected with it as it was in the distant past .
Not much chance of reliving the past as it's all about making money today instead of promoting
a life style .

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:15 am

At the close of nominations, the following were duly nominated:

Heinrich Steinborn (GER)
Alan Meade (GBR)
Earle Liederman (USA)
Charles Atlas (ITA)

These nominees will be profiled from February 9th until the 20th when the polls will open until the 27th with the winner being declared on the 28th
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)