Update on bench press training

Topics that focus on building strength and muscle using old school and modern training techniques. Post questions, share training tips and programs.

Moderator: peter yates

28kgKB

Re: Update on bench press training

Post by 28kgKB » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:19 pm

David Gentle wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:31 am
John, i admire your courage and tenacity. Just a tip for the bench press, and this is only if you have training buddies or spotters, try to load up in your bench racks a reallly high poundage eg about another 20 or more pounds than your best full lift, then just try to lift the bar,off the racks, dont move it m ore then locking our your arms about an inch, ,the idea is just to get used to the feel of a heavy weight, so when you reduce the weight for training it will feel much lighter. i repeat you must have spotters ready to grab the bar. David
Hi David!

I've done what you've suggested over the years and found that over time, even if only done once per week that that movement just wears on my shoulders. I train in my garage in power rack. The only time I ever used a traditional bench press bench was when I was actually competing - i.e., on the platform at a meet. I always trained in a power rack otherwise. I set the pins at a level so that if I fail at the bench press those pins will catch the bar. I never get so grandiose in my training that that's a problem. I train alone and have done so for many years, though I've trained with partners before. I'm definitely one of those lifters who "lifts with his head" and not "with his ego". =)

When I was competing in powerlifting, I used the lockout benches as an assistance exercise, but never found them to be useful to me. I only ended up with sore shoulders from them with no carry over to an increased bench press. I've also tried pressing from a bottom position dead stop on the pins and those too grinded on my shoulder joints. In the end, the thing that worked for me was volume pressing - minimum three days a week bench pressing and as much as five days a week of pressing - three bench and three overhead of some sort - and pause reps on the bench. It seems to be working just fine with no ill effects.

I am a power rack fanatic, but I found that using the rack only helped on my deadlift. Pulling from the knees (rack pulling) helped my lock out. But, squatting and benching from pins did nothing for me. I got more out of pause squats and pause bench pressing than anything else. Bizarre. I guess its just a trial and error game to see what works and what doesn't. Sometimes, the things you don;t expect to work end up being what you need to do.

Cheers,

John

28kgKB

Re: Update on bench press training

Post by 28kgKB » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:21 pm

sticksb wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:37 am
The leg extension / leg curl machine caused no problems for me . I did them as slow deliberate
movements over a 6-8 rep range , pausing at the top of each movement . I never did the high
rep high ballistic rocking back and forth reps I see in practice in a lot of training halls . I think
that's what most of the leg ex. nay sayers get bent out of shape about ...
Exactly! Me too! Slow and deliberate......works much better.....