Greetings from Physical Culture enthusiast

Welcome! Please feel free to introduce yourself.
Behind the Scenes at HOPC: Diane Robert Site Administrator, David Gentle Historian, Gil Waldron Research Historian,Ron Tyrrell Historian, Peter Yates Editor-in-Chief. DannyBoy and Harry Hayfield, Forum & Facebook Moderators

Moderators: DannyBoy, Harry Hayfield, David Gentle

KauKeung

Re: Greetings from Physical Culture enthusiast

Post by KauKeung » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:13 pm

Hi Dave,
Thank you also for your warm welcome , I'm pretty sure I used to read some of your articles in Bodybuilding Monthly in the earlier issues one was entitled confessions of a magazine swapper? correct me if I'm wrong , I think you also wrote an article on The Mighty Atom aswell? I was always interested in the older stuff as it was all raw strength and not augmented like the guys from the later generations. I'm not sure if it was you or not? who authored an article on strength training for the martial artist which had a photo of Mike Dayton? I'm glad I found this site as I'm certain it has alot of experienced people here as well as a plethora of information, Hopefully at the beginning of next month when I have a few quid I'll sign up!

That's quite a history there Peter!
I'm hoping I can contribute some value here and start interesting threads. I'm big fan also of old-school bodybuilding I suppose up until around the early 1980's. The guys who really impressed and inspired me though were Jack LaLanne , John Grimek , Steve Reeves , Reg Park etc. I recently learnt of a gentleman from a similar time period George Robinson , he was a former boxer , bodybuilder , strongman who later became a life-time personal trainer.

Thanks again

Keung

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:54 pm

Hi Keung,
you will find a lot of David's articles in the library.He has probably written more articles, for more magazines than any other writer. In some cases he almost wrote the entire magazine, Ghost writing for the champs and under assumed names, much like Chas Smith did for Weider in the 1950's. I agree about the best years for strength and bodybuilding, somewhere in the 1960's the changes started to happen and not for the better in my opinion.Many speak of the 70's and 80's as the Golden Age of Bodybuilding but for me it was much earlier with the cut off being around 1960. Some have even stated that the present day is the real Golden Age, well each is entitled to an opinion but the present state of bodybuilding and powerlifting leave much to be desired as far as i am concerned.BTW do you mean Terry Robinson who trained Mario Lansa?While you are waiting to join the library take a look at some of the older posts on the forum, there are lots of training tips and and routines and info on strongmen etc. from some of our very knowledgeable members.
Regards Peter.
Peter Yates

Handson

Post by Handson » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:27 pm

Hi Again Keung,

A couple of snippets about Alfred Moss in case you wanted to do some digging about him & his background.

Staff Sergeant Major Alfred Moss was actually born David Trelfer in Brighton Sussex in April 1868.
His father William was a Journeyman Baker. His Mother's name was Ann (nee Sinnick or Sinnock).
David Telfer's wife Edith was born in Bermondsey London on 21 December 1877

They married in St Stephens Battersea
Sep 16th 1900
Edith Alice Phillips 22
David Trelfer 31 a Gymnastics instructor

The name change occurred some time/shortly(?) before he enlisted in the 8th (King’s Royal Irish) Hussars in 1886 (Regimental No. 2982) based mainly at Aldershot.

On his demob in 1894 he secured a position as visiting teacher of Physical Education at Wellington Day College for Girls (O joy!) in Hastings -a role he held for quite a number of years.

I attach a couple of newspaper extracts (of which there are many) about 'Alfred Moss'.

Regards
Handson
Attachments
SS-M Moss 1902 Hastings.png
SS-M Moss 1902 Hastings.png (361.44 KiB) Viewed 1719 times
SS-M Moss at Hastings Athletic Club 1895.png
SS-M Moss at Hastings Athletic Club 1895.png (697.9 KiB) Viewed 1719 times

Handson

Post by Handson » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:36 pm

p.s. his Army papers initially cite his next of kin as his brother William Moss -but the "Moss" was ruled out and Trelfer substituted.
SSM 'Alfred Moss' papers cite him as having a tattoo on his arm of "C. Sinnock' -his mother's maiden name.
So the name change all adds up.

Handson.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:14 pm

Hi Handson,
some terrific information there. He certainly was a prominent figure in PC and a versatile all rounder. Wonder why he he changed his name? Thanks for posting.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Handson

Post by Handson » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:56 pm

p.p.s.

Now you've assimilated the foregoing I need to raise the complicated matter of David Trelfer/Alfred Moss being tried and imprisoned, according to his Army records, on 11 February 1887.

He was “in confinement awaiting trial from 26 January 1887 until 10 February 1887” following which he was “tried and imprisoned on 11 February 1887 until 22 April 1887” and forfeited 151 days of previous service for fraudulent enlistment

It is likely that Trelfer/Moss was trying to hide a Court Martial for a David Trelfer on 26 January 1885 at Maidstone by the West Kent Regiment.

This seems to fit with the issues in 1886 when he signed up as Alfred Moss.

Even before all this he apparently signed up in Maidstone, Kent on 28 November 1884 as David Trelfer for service in Canada in the 97th Foot Soldiers on 28 November 1884 giving a birthplace as Beckenham, Kent which fits with the 1871 when he was living there with grandparents.

Later still he then seems to have completed the Trelfer/Moss/Trelfer sandwich by signing up for the Boar War in the 3rd Battalion Royal Sussex regiment in South Africa in 1902 again as David Trelfer.

The death certificate for our roller-coasting Dr Jeckll goes as follows:-

Death 4th quarter 1952, Hastings 5H 350, Alfred Moss aged 84.
Death, 4th quarter 1952 Hastings 5H 350 David Trelfer aged 84.

The probate registration records “Trelfer, David or Moss, Alfred dying at 22 St Helens Road, Hastings on 8 December 1952 probate to Edith Alice Trelfer, Widow“.

If the general public at the time got wind of all this then perhaps it wasn’t his tattoos that militated against his role model standing as a physical specimen.
Phew!
Handson

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:19 pm

Hi Handson,
you have really uncovered some fascinating information about Moss. Would you please mind sending the above information to Diane so that it can be included in Moss's bio which at the moment is quite brief.Would be very appreciative if you could do that.
Regards,
Peter Yates

Handson

Post by Handson » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:17 am

Hi Peter
Done & dusted just now.
Regards
Handson

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:11 pm