Bosco's Strength Notebook by Harry Paschall

Latest announcements and news from the History of Physical Culture.

Moderators: Harry Hayfield, DannyBoy, drob357

drob357
Site Admin

Bosco's Strength Notebook by Harry Paschall

Post by drob357 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:40 pm

HISTORY OF PHYSICAL CULTURE LIBRARY
Subscribe www.davidgentle.com

Volume 1 No 2, Date Unknown
FULL REPRODUCTION
Enjoy this 111-page reproduction in dynamic font. Includes weightlifting exercises and detailed instructions plus the ever popular, "BACKSTAGE WITH BOSCO"

Excerpt from book: “That was the year that John Grimek won the Mr. America title, and also participated in the lifting. The day after the contest we were in Sig Klein’s gym when Johnny Grimek and Steve Stanko came in and we watched cynical Sig put his “steel” tape measure on their biceps to get a reading of 18 inches. I will never forget Sig saying, after the two York Stars had departed, “There go a couple of MEN.” – Harry Paschall
Diane Robert
Chief Librarian/Site Administrator
http://www.davidgentle.com

sticksb

Re: Bosco's Strength Notebook by Harry Paschall

Post by sticksb » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:21 pm

Harry was an influence on what I produce . The Bosco booklets are priceless . He
could have used a joke writer as Hoffman would have flopped in Vaudeville . Bob
was funny as a broken leg . Paschall had to mirror some of Hoffman's aversion to
bodybuilding in his cartoons , making sport of beach musclemen . This evaporated
when hoffman realized how many bodybuilding customers he had when bodybuilding
started to be accepted mid-60s on . I think Joe Weider published his sales figures in
a mid 60s issue of Muscle Builder .Hoffman read it and spit his coffee across the room
... and he never drank coffee ...LOL

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:52 pm

[attachment=0]IMG.jpg
Attachments
IMG.jpg
IMG.jpg (118.41 KiB) Viewed 82 times

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:39 pm

Thanks Diane, I know that like most of what you post,this required a great deal of work. Paschall was a very interesting character and a main player in the iron game for many years.From what i can gather he was very much in favor of bodybuilding which he called 'muscle spinning' but with the provision the muscle developed should be useful and not for show.I remember reading an article he wrote in which he was berating lifters who had no muscle to build some and bodybuilders who had muscle to do some lifting and strength feats. Contrary to what has been written,and many believe, Hoffman was of a similar opinion. He was not anti muscle building as his early courses point out, build the body first,then do something useful with it.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:27 pm

Hoffman used derisive language in print regarding bodybuilders all the time
post mid 40s . Muscles for muscles sake was the vibe that evaporated once
he got some serious sales competition ...

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:46 pm

Hi Chris, exactly. Hoffman was not against muscles, just muscles for show only. Leiderman, Jowett, Klein, Inch etc. all emphasized building up the body first, eliminating weak links then using those muscles for lifting or other sports. Hoffman was the same until Weider came along and really promoted physique for its own sake. Interesting though Joe really respected strength but he knew what the majority of trainees were really interested in,looking good. Joe had a great knack of seeing where trends where going and got in there quick to lead the pack.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates