Sandow Statuette

Post questions concerning the History of Physical Culture and we will try our best to answer them for you.

Moderators: DannyBoy, Harry Hayfield, David Gentle

Handson

Sandow Statuette

Post by Handson » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:02 am

Has anyone seen one of these before?

GOOGLE:
"Eugene Sandow Bronze statue trophy bust art physique male model rare old antique" on Ebay.

Handson.

David Gentle

Re: Sandow Statuette

Post by David Gentle » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:35 pm

Not only seen them, have held the REAL ORIGINALS not copies in my grubby little hands, both at David Websters and Diane Bennetts, both the barbell and the dumbell copies. I did try to sneak out of Dave Websters once with one of the real bronzes under my coat, but he sussed me out with the guilty look on my face, will dig out the photo. also seen Alexander Zass original piece of metal he bent ,amazing, and to finish off, have had more tha one try lifting the original challenge Inch dumbell, all i need to do now is lift Paul Andersons mythical 6,270lb safe which sadly is no longer regocnised. notice how the doubters always wait until the person is safely dead before they critise them, David Gentle, now attempting to bend a whole yorky bar before the wife catches me.
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
http://davidgentle.com

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:38 pm

Hi David,
while i agree that in some cases there are those that have been unjustly criticized once they have left this earthly realm, we know only too well that more than one of the old time performing strongmen either had some tricks in their acts or would be using weights less than stated. This would of course make sense if doing several performances per day. Now while we know that Paul Anderson was indeed a strongman and made quite a few verifiable strength feats and of course his officially recognized lifts,there are some claims that cannot be verified at all. Remember Paul became a professional and privy to the performing strongman's exaggeration. One instance is the squatting of 1000lb in silver dollars in Las Vegas. However we do know that Paul did squat a big weight just not really how much it really weighed. The back lift is a whole other story and one that those with any true interest in strength history should study carefully. There is absolutely no evidence that Paul lifted the amount stated or that he even did any amount at the time he said he did.Poor Joe Roark was attacked by all and sundry for daring to cast doubt on Paul's claim,but Joe never set out to disprove the claim ,but the further he investigated the more things just did not add up. I feel Joe had the courage to present the facts that no one else had bothered to check, Joe is a fair man and only published what he found nothing more,nothing less. Yet people in the world of strength who should have known better turned their anger toward him instead of thanking him for his contribution to history. We are the History of Physical Culture and we should also be the ACCURATE History of Physical Culture.Members please take a moment and google 'joe roark,paul anderson' for the true Anderson back lift story.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Handson

Post by Handson » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:39 am

Hi David
Thanks for the info suggesting that bogus statuettes may exist -I am wary about spending serious kite on what could turn out to be a Poundland fake.

Incidentally I recently acquired an interesting and probably quite rare Sandow item for my collection -I won't be writing it off [ahem] as a fake -see attachment.

However what I won't be seeking is one of Sandow's corsets -see attachment -I was beginning to wonder about him!

Regards
Handson
Attachments
Sandow's Cocoa & Chocolate Co. Ltd. Propelling Pencil.png
Sandow's Cocoa & Chocolate Co. Ltd. Propelling Pencil.png (909.26 KiB) Viewed 279 times
Liquidation Of Sandow Limited August 31 1916.png
Liquidation Of Sandow Limited August 31 1916.png (669.56 KiB) Viewed 279 times

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:13 am

The company went bust? With Eugene's name on every product? Gadzooks, and people thought that Barings going bankrupt was bad!
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:36 pm

Hi Handson, Thats the first Sandow propelling pencil i have ever seen , so would indeed think its rare, could be useful as well for shoving suppositories up ones backside when the occasion arrises. David , re Andeson versus Joe Roark, i am with Joe and Peter with this one and have read all the remarks re the mythicas safe etc. I used to love the Roark report. Another earlier writer who debunked old timers claims was none other than John Davis, cant remember which mag, his target was often the claims for holding out ridiculous weights , and John would have known. on the other side of the coin,were Willoughbys crazy claims eg if a guy could one arm military press with one hand a hundred and fifty pounds, then with some DW formulae, same guy would be able to bench press 403 lbs or something as silly. At the time, circa "Muscle Wars" Joe Weider would also call Willoughbys own system as nuts, he sure would have been amazed if alive today. one thing it always makes a good argument, good to keep an open mind, in life your greatest competitor is yourself and the limitations you set yourself. David Gentle.......right just off to try and lift my money box.
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
http://davidgentle.com

Handson

Post by Handson » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:48 pm

It seems that Mr Sandow was not particularly adept at making bread in either the culinary or non-culinary sense.
Also it isn't so strange that in 1914 shares in a germanic-sounding gentleman's Company selling non-essential drinks would interest investors more than shares in Kynock cartridges; Webley firearms and Armstrong Whitworth aircraft.

Handson
Attachments
Sandow's Baking Powder & Cocoa Recipes.png
Sandow's Baking Powder & Cocoa Recipes.png (899.93 KiB) Viewed 268 times
Sandow's Cocoa Heavy Loss on Shares 1914.png
Sandow's Cocoa Heavy Loss on Shares 1914.png (938.63 KiB) Viewed 268 times

Handson

Post by Handson » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:43 pm

Post Script.
We have seen the demise of Sandow Ltd.
Now for the benefit of those who may not have read about his own demise see the first 2 of 4 attachments.
Note: it seems pdf files cannot be posted as attachments hence it'll have to be done in two operations as jpegs.
This is the first pair.
Attachments
Sandow Dies Reduced P1.jpg
Sandow Dies Reduced P1.jpg (356.23 KiB) Viewed 258 times
Sandow Dies Reduced Page 2.jpg
Sandow Dies Reduced Page 2.jpg (267.51 KiB) Viewed 258 times

Handson

Post by Handson » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:47 pm

Post Post Script.
Here are the final two jpegs.
Strangely enough to see these in the correct order it is necessary to drag them in reverse order -very odd.

Handson
Attachments
Sandow Dies Reduced Page 3.jpg
Sandow Dies Reduced Page 3.jpg (287.62 KiB) Viewed 258 times
Sandow Dies Reduced Page 4.jpg
Sandow Dies Reduced Page 4.jpg (367.01 KiB) Viewed 258 times

Handson

Post by Handson » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:51 pm

Whoever measured Sandow's alleged distended chest measurement of 62 inches must have had the tape measure around his deltoids!