The Best Physical Culturists of the 1950's

Stay tuned! This Forum will be officially launched Dec. 31, 2018 by Moderator, Harry Hayfield.
Best Physical Culturists representing each decade during the past 100 years.

Moderators: Harry Hayfield, drob357

Harry Hayfield

The Best Physical Culturists of the 1950's

Post by Harry Hayfield » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:43 am

Overview
By the start of the 1950's, muscle, strength and fitness was starting to become the mainstay of life amongst those who had grown up in the Depression era and boy did they make a name for themselves. Vince Gironda, renowned for his movie roles before hand, introduced the neck press named after himself, Reg Park, three time Mr. Universe, was hailed as the best bodybuilder of the Golden Era, Ed Fury, a former model of Bob Mizer, appeared in such films as "The Wild Women of Wongo". Even movie stars such as Tony Curtis, Rock Hudson and Robert Wagner endorsed the style and of course where would we be without the great sporting stars of the decade such as Milton Reid who went on to appear in a number of films

Rules
1) All nominees must have been born prior to 1930
2) All nominees must have come to public prominence between 1950 and 1959
3) Nominations will be accepted in text (name of physical culturist), images or video (labelled with the name, country of birth and date of image)
4) Nominations will close at 0000 PDT on May 8th 2019
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

Harry Hayfield

Re: The Best Physical Culturists of the 1950's

Post by Harry Hayfield » Wed May 08, 2019 8:01 am

Harry Hayfield wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:43 am
Overview
By the start of the 1950's, muscle, strength and fitness was starting to become the mainstay of life amongst those who had grown up in the Depression era and boy did they make a name for themselves. Vince Gironda, renowned for his movie roles before hand, introduced the neck press named after himself, Reg Park, three time Mr. Universe, was hailed as the best bodybuilder of the Golden Era, Ed Fury, a former model of Bob Mizer, appeared in such films as "The Wild Women of Wongo". Even movie stars such as Tony Curtis, Rock Hudson and Robert Wagner endorsed the style and of course where would we be without the great sporting stars of the decade such as Milton Reid who went on to appear in a number of films

Rules
1) All nominees must have been born prior to 1930
2) All nominees must have come to public prominence between 1950 and 1959
3) Nominations will be accepted in text (name of physical culturist), images or video (labelled with the name, country of birth and date of image)
4) Nominations will close at 0000 PDT on May 8th 2019
Given what has happened to us this week, I am extending the close of nominations to 0000 PDT on May 11th 2019
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Wed May 08, 2019 12:31 pm

Thanks Harry, my mind really has been elsewhere.
Peter Yates

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sat May 11, 2019 12:55 pm

Sorry Harry, so much going on. meant to get this in so is it still valid? I nominate Steve Reeves.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Sat May 11, 2019 2:17 pm

peter yates wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 12:55 pm
Sorry Harry, so much going on. meant to get this in so is it still valid? I nominate Steve Reeves. Regards,Peter.
Yes, Steve Reeves is a valid nomination

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Sat May 11, 2019 2:28 pm

The list I posted earlier were all born after 1930 (and therefore not valid) so the new list of nominations are:

Steve Reeves (USA)
Reg Park (GBR)
Shohachi Ishii (JPN)
David Tsimakuridze (GEO)
Bror Viking Palm (SWE)
Imre Hódos (HUN)
Mithat Bayrak (TUR)

raynobile

Post by raynobile » Sun May 12, 2019 7:57 am

i nominate reg park.he had a more active and longer career in bodybuilding than reeves. i cannot coment on the other nominees as i have never heard of them :?: