Sticks has left us.I

Latest announcements and news from the History of Physical Culture.

Moderators: DannyBoy, Harry Hayfield, drob357

peter yates

Sticks has left us.I

Post by peter yates » Fri May 03, 2019 11:34 pm

It is with a very saddened heart that i have to inform that my very dear friend and our wonderful HOPC illustrator Chris [Sticks] Bostick passed away early this morning. I have just received the news from his sister Diane. Chris has been an integral member of the HOPC family for many years and has provided wonderful illustrations to illuminate many articles and books on the site plus sound training advise for those willing to listen.His passing will leave a huge void that cannot be filled. On behalf of HOPC i wish to extend our sincere condolences to his sister Diane,family and friends. He was a well loved man. Farewell my friend,God bless you and may you now rest in peace.
With a sad heart,Peter.
Peter Yates

Talbot

Re: Sticks has left us.I

Post by Talbot » Sat May 04, 2019 12:30 am

Such sad news. "Sticks' " contributions here were major. His illustrations clarified, for usability, a lot of the "scribblings" that I wrote for this site, that allowed others to "see," what I was trying to say. I had hoped to work with him again, as my personal problems are getting better. I was unaware the he was having problems, unless his passing was sudden. I shall miss him.

drob357
Site Admin

Post by drob357 » Sat May 04, 2019 3:27 am

Dear Peter,

I am deeply saddened to learn about Chris' sudden passing. He was a wonderful person, a talented artist and fond member of our HOPC Team. His illustrations brought our literary work to life. Chris touched the lives of many and will be sadly missed by all. My sincere condolences to Diane and her family.

May Chris rest in peace.

Blessings,
Diane
Diane Robert
Chief Librarian/Site Administrator
https://davidgentle.com

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Sat May 04, 2019 8:48 am

Oh dear I am sorry to hear that. That posting I made a couple of days ago asking him to do a representation of Henri and Porthos wrestling a bull was a genuine request as I wanted to have some illustratiions in the second edition of my book ahead of the second story in the series where Henri would come to terms with his increased strength and use it to become even more of a hero than he was in the first book.

Sticks, also of course, contributed to my election campaign in 2017 by drawing two pictures of me for the local elections. One holding the flag of Ceredigion (showing my commitment in standing for the county) and another one with a stethoscope taking the pulse of the NHS logo (showing my commitment to health care in the county). The next elections are not due until 2022, but if there is a by-election between now and then and I am able to stand, I shall certainly use those pictures again as a tribute to his skills.
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

Handson

Post by Handson » Sat May 04, 2019 8:59 am

peter yates wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 11:34 pm
It is with a very saddened heart that i have to inform that my very dear friend and our wonderful HOPC illustrator Chris [Sticks] Bostick passed away early this morning. I have just received the news from his sister Diane. Chris has been an integral member of the HOPC family for many years and has provided wonderful illustrations to illuminate many articles and books on the site plus sound training advise for those willing to listen.His passing will leave a huge void that cannot be filled. On behalf of HOPC i wish to extend our sincere condolences to his sister Diane,family and friends. He was a well loved man. Farewell my friend,God bless you and may you now rest in peace.
With a sad heart,Peter.
Never met the gent but he seemed a very personable man and strongly committed to HOPC.
So indeed RIP.
Handson

raynobile

Post by raynobile » Sat May 04, 2019 9:23 am

sad news indeed.may he sleep well.condolences to his loved ones.

dhartnet

Post by dhartnet » Sat May 04, 2019 9:55 am

I dont know what to say, loss for words.
Amazing man, artist and friend.

RIP Sticks, somewhere, wherever you are, that place just got better with your presence.
Youre fine work, and friendship will live on forever. RIP...
---------
~Dave

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Sat May 04, 2019 1:24 pm

Today, i cried, for Sticks, and for myself. his contributions to the site were immeasurable, his talent extraordinary, his friendship beyond value. May he rest in peace and his gods go with him. David Gentle 4/5/2019
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

Internalfitness

Post by Internalfitness » Sat May 04, 2019 4:04 pm

When I read his last post early yesterday it seemed horribly like he had written his own obituary, so it was sad to read Peter's update. As a final post though, it sums the man up fine:
the tapestry of strength and experience we've built belongs to the ages and each others souls.
Those words are only true because he made it so. A kind, funny and unselfish man in an age of the opposite.

Richie.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sat May 04, 2019 10:42 pm

Internalfitness wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 4:04 pm
When I read his last post early yesterday it seemed horribly like he had written his own obituary, so it was sad to read Peter's update. As a final post though, it sums the man up fine:
the tapestry of strength and experience we've built belongs to the ages and each others souls.
Those words are only true because he made it so. A kind, funny and unselfish man in an age of the opposite.

Richie.
AMEN.
Peter Yates