Launch of Muscleanous Column

Latest announcements and news from the History of Physical Culture.

Moderators: DannyBoy, Harry Hayfield, drob357

David Gentle

Re: Launch of Muscleanous Column

Post by David Gentle » Tue May 14, 2019 4:50 pm

Thanks for all the details Ray and i will definately get the book, sounds a must. Re Geof C, wow, i have seen him both at his best and at his worst, and boy does he have a temper, i was with him at a show in bournemouth, they were bending bars and he nearly broke a blood vessel, then hit on me until I calmed him down with some bananas( you know the sort of thing you would do to a gorrilla) to lift up his blood sugar Luckily Kaz was there , so i hid behind his massive shoulders until peace was declaired. Have you seen him lately? he is huge would make Louis Cyr look skinny. David, and yes off to find your book.
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Tue May 14, 2019 4:57 pm

Help, Peter, can you tell me how to get a copy of Ray Nobles book please, just had a prowle and cant find it, can you help, name and place to find it. ta, David, nice speaking to you yesterday.
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Tue May 14, 2019 7:44 pm

David Gentle wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 4:50 pm
Thanks for all the details Ray and i will definately get the book, sounds a must. Re Geof C, wow, i have seen him both at his best and at his worst, and boy does he have a temper, i was with him at a show in bournemouth, they were bending bars and he nearly broke a blood vessel, then hit on me until I calmed him down with some bananas( you know the sort of thing you would do to a gorrilla) to lift up his blood sugar Luckily Kaz was there , so i hid behind his massive shoulders until peace was declaired. Have you seen him lately? he is huge would make Louis Cyr look skinny. David, and yes off to find your book.
Geoff Capes recently arrived on Facebook in order to raise funds for a Lincolnshire based charity.
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Tue May 14, 2019 9:36 pm

Capes always made excuses if something went wrong,he was not a good sport. Although i wanted Britain to win in the international Strongman events i found myself rooting for John Paul or some other athlete due to Capes attitude. In the contest with Ray he is complaining about the back lift and telephone directory tearing yet he had the definite advantage in the throwing events and those that favored taller athletes so it all balanced out. As ray said he was a bully but at that contest big Pat Roach was all set to put him in his place until he backed down. At least he was smart. ;)
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Tue May 14, 2019 9:56 pm

Hi David, yes i will let you know how to get Ray's book. It was great to catch up by phone yesterday and talk about our dear departed Sticks,god rest his soul. By the way in the Muscleaneous column the photo of the aging Arnold is in fact not Arnold but the physique of Andreas Cahling with Arnold's cranium transposed upon it.You can do anything with computers and photo-shop these days. Of course if someone has not seen the original photo of Andreas it would be easy to be fooled. I think Danny Boy posted it on the forum a few years ago and Andreas was in his early 60s at the time. Not sure what Arnold does look like these days but certainly not as good as Andreas methinks.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

raynobile

Post by raynobile » Wed May 15, 2019 6:17 am

David Gentle wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 4:57 pm
Help, Peter, can you tell me how to get a copy of Ray Nobles book please, just had a prowle and cant find it, can you help, name and place to find it. ta, David, nice speaking to you yesterday.
david, send me your email address and i will send you the book, regards, ray,

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Thu May 16, 2019 2:55 pm

HI Ray, my email is davidfgentle@hotmail.co.uk would love that book, have been swatting up on you, you have done so much, congratulations mate and its great you have joined us. And the photo Peter mentions of Arnolds face transposed onto another physique,(Andries Carling) a la Joe Weider style, is really my body, but i was too shy to let people know, and if you believe that, ,you will believe in the tooth fairy. David
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture

raynobile

Post by raynobile » Thu May 16, 2019 3:29 pm

book sent david.oh and i do believe in the tooth fairy :lol:

David Gentle

Re: Ray Nobile's book

Post by David Gentle » Fri May 17, 2019 2:20 pm

Just printed out and begun reading Ray's book, and its fabulous, well written and full of facts expressed in a good humoured way by a man whos strength when you look back at it, was amazing, the wife won't be hearing from me for a couple of evenings as i digest this fine tome, so thats two people pleased. Seriously it really is a superb biography of a really strong man, telling it like it was, warts and all. It should be on our best sellers list. Since seeing the book, i realise just how fortunate we are having Ray as a member, who i hope can now be the sites powerlifting guru sharing his knowledge with the rest of our members.David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture

raynobile

Post by raynobile » Fri May 17, 2019 2:55 pm

many thanks for the kind words david. and im glad you like the book. best wishes, ray,