Shifting gears a bit...a new training approach

Topics that focus on building strength and muscle using old school and modern training techniques. Post questions, share training tips and programs.

Moderator: peter yates

28kgKB

Shifting gears a bit...a new training approach

Post by 28kgKB » Thu May 23, 2019 9:55 pm

So, over the past few months I've been using a very, very simple routine of bench presses and pull ups, the occasional overhead press and curl, plus lots of cardio....running and biking. I decided to shift gears a bit and switch things up a bit and try something different now. The Eastern Bloc routines I was doing are actually some of the best training I've done for the bench press, but after awhile it is a lot boring do the same thing over and over and over, so......on to bigger and better training routine(s).

Contemplated using a whole body routine but wanted more volume and variety in my training so I decided on a split routine as follows:

Day 1 - Chest and Back
Day 2 - Legs/Cardio/Abs
Day 3 - Shoulders and Arms

Days 1 and 3 will be centered around the basic exercises and DB exercises as well for variety. Day 2 will center around running or biking and concentrate on abs and leg extensios and leg curls. The plan is really a slightly downsized version of the Gold's Gym, 1970's, hey day routine......

A three on/one off kinda routine.....

We'll see how it goes....

Cheers folks!

peter yates

Re: Shifting gears a bit...a new training approach

Post by peter yates » Fri May 24, 2019 12:40 pm

Thanks for the update John, as long as you are enjoying the training and it is productive you are on the right track.Let us know how the new program goes.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

28kgKB

Post by 28kgKB » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:48 pm

Hi Peter,

Yeah, with me and now my wife both working the midnight shifts at our respective jobs, my routine very quickly morphed into an upper body/lower body routine. So, Mon, Wed, and Fri is upper body and a 5 sets of 5 reps concept with bench presses, some sort of heavy back exercise; power snatch, power clean or rows, followed by overhead pressing from the rack, then heavy curls and Klokov pulls (fast, light, snatch grip high pull/upright row type exercise). One or maybe two light rehab DB type exercise light lateral raises or hammer curls or something like that and I'm done. Tue, Thu and Sat or Sun is a lower body concept with lots of cardio and Hack squats, leg extensions and leg curls. Higher reps on leg days.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:26 pm

Hi John, good to hear,how many people say they have no time to train? Yet those such as yourself find ways even with inconvenient work schedules. At least you and your wife are on the same work shift.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates