Britain's Strongest Man

Ray Nobile, World Champion Bodybuilder & Powerlifter is the Chief Moderator for this Forum. Ray invites you to post questions regarding your training and dietary concerns.

Moderators: drob357, raynobile

drob357
Site Admin

Britain's Strongest Man

Post by drob357 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:45 am

Watch this great video featuring RAY NOBILE going head to head with Geoff Capes and others.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VAI7lkWOKs&t=3611s
Diane Robert
Chief Librarian/Site Administrator
https://davidgentle.com

raynobile

Re: Britain's Strongest Man

Post by raynobile » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:24 am

thanks diane brings back good memories. poor quality of the video is due to multiple transfers from the original betamax tape. it was then transfered from betamax to vhs, then transfered from there to disc format. by the time it was transfered to youtube it had lost clarity along the way. i would like to take this opportunity to let our members know that my wife marion nobile can be seen winning the bulgarin bodybuilding championships in 2006. its on youtube also. type in her name in the youtube search function. regards, ray.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:17 pm

Thanks for posting Diane.Great to see our Ray in action and get a taste of his strength.In those days they were just thrown in without knowing what the challenges would be so could not prepare for them.in other words you had to be strong all round.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Jim Duggan

Post by Jim Duggan » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:29 pm

Very nice video. I've recently seen a few Britain's Strongest Man on one of the cable sports networks. I was just flipping through the channels and came upon it by accident. But these older videos are great to watch. I could watch them all the time and never get bored. Just like the old WSM from the 70s and early 80s.
I think it's better to have a contest where the actual events are not known. I think it puts each competitor on a more level playing field. And, I agree Peter, it's a more realistic test of strength. I guess it would be impossible in today's climate, what with so much money involved.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:54 pm

Hi Jim, i think you have hit the nail squarely on the head.As you know it all started out with strength athletes from various traditions having friendly contests to see who was the best all rounder. It took a long time for the money to come in, but as we know when it does things have to change, because how much money can be made is the bottom line.Just like powerlifting in the early days,Strongman had a kind of purity to it, guys competing for the honor as there was no money to be made. Having said that i still do enjoy watching modern Strongman. It was interesting to hear Brian Shaw on the history channel show remarking that Strongman is more popular in GB than the USA.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates