rare photos of 1953 nabba universe

Latest announcements and news from the History of Physical Culture.

Moderators: DannyBoy, Harry Hayfield, drob357

raynobile

rare photos of 1953 nabba universe

Post by raynobile » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:52 am

here is a link to a newspaper articl
e on the 1953 nabba universe. sean connery and a young bill pearl among others. article is total media nonsense. but photos are great.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... rticle-top

peter yates

Re: rare photos of 1953 nabba universe

Post by peter yates » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:39 pm

Hi Ray, thanks for the link, while as you say the article is crap[why can't reporters do some research?] the photos are priceless.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:53 pm

This sort of stuff really pi**es me off. Too long has our Sean let the myth continue, I was there, Bill Pearl won as said. Third place in amatuer was Peter Farrer. This junk was printed years ago in the Mail. I contacted the editor and sent him a copy of the official results and names of all those who competed. It was august 6 1954, Reeves was cover man all results on page 12. Sean Connery was called Tom Connery of Scotland and listed as "also competed" I didnt know him or of him at the time and certainly didnt think he stood out. The editor of the Mail , wrote back, thanked me for the letter and inserts,(mag and official lists) and said he would make sure his depts got the record straight. Now i dont blame Connery, he never actually claimed it himself, but neither did he ever try to stop the myth. what makes me sad is the guy who really won third must be a bit miffed after all these years.I often wonder why the judges of the contest have never kicked up about the wrong information??Tom or Sean trained at Dave Websters gym for a while, Dave said he was definately very strong. Tom also modelled posing trunks for a swimware company, and was in the musical South Pacific, his main interest all the time was acting at which he of course became famous as James Bond. David Gentle or Joe Smith if 007 comes looking for me...
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

raynobile

Post by raynobile » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:03 am

i have tried for years now to find out how sean connery or tom qualified for the universe. adam glass and joe roark have also tried. he must have won the mr scotland then went on to place highly in the mr britain in order to get an invite to the universe.however there is no mention in the mags of him winning any of those contests.dave webster would know for sure, however he has not replied to my numerous emails. now i present my theory on how connery was alowed to compete in the 1953 universe. dave webster got him in the back door so to speak.sean had an audition for the musical south pacific, which was on the same weekend as the universe. so he got a lift from webster from edinburgh to london.as webster was on the judging panel and had a lot of clout with the organisers he persuaded them to allow sean to compete as a representitive for scotland. this is just my point of view. i also cannot find any of connerys scottish contest history. one thing i did find out from adam glass was that connery owed 2 shillings for gym fees which he never paid.the owner of that gym is still living and wants his 2 bob. :lol:

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:05 pm

Hi Ray,
it is interesting that you mention this as this has also been my suspicion. There is no doubt he had won a qualifier he would have been mentioned in the mags at the time. I do believe he was training at Websters gym at the time so it is well within the bounds of reason that Webster got him in the backdoor somehow.While not championship material Tom did have a decent physique and i often wondered why he did not keep up with his training just to keep in shape at least.BTW that 2 bob must have accumulated a lot of interest by now.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:11 pm

Ray is correct, the "Mr Scotland" title was pure fiction, made up, just to get him into the contest.Those years were probably my peak years as far as going to shows and reading mags are concerned and although i have kept it going for at least another 60 years, my memory still holds, although not with a shopping trolley. If i can find the letter from the M ail (I keep all letters) and a copy of the actual contest competitors and winners, will scan and put them on the site, so you, like the editor of the Mail can see the truth David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture

raynobile

Post by raynobile » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:34 am

thanks peter and david, we are aggreed that sean got into the 53 universe via david webster. this is why webster did not respond to my NUMEROUS emails to him a few years back. nabba rules state that you must qualify by entering your area contest and moving on to the next qualifier which would be the mr britain. the britain was a steping stone to the universe. sean and webster circumvented and violated those rules. sean did not enter any of those qualifiers. if he had i dont think his physique would have been good enough even to win the mr scotland. regards, ray.

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:02 am

Dear Ray, just written one letter for it to get lost due to wonky computer, anyway, have scanned and sent to di to put on the forum the official reports and placings of the show, you will see our friend is not mentioned once except for a brief "also ran" list as Tom Connery alias Tam alias Sean. i sent same to the daily mail ed, who promised me he would s tick to the facts,cant find his letter but will publish it when i do,yours ten times winner of the mr olympia and just about everything else you can make up . David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture

drob357
Site Admin

Post by drob357 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:00 pm

Hi Gang,
This sort of stuff really pi**es me off. Too long has our Sean let the myth continue, I was there, Bill Pearl won as said. Third place in amatuer was Peter Farrer. This junk was printed years ago in the Mail. I contacted the editor and sent him a copy of the official results and names of all those who competed. It was august 6 1954, Reeves was cover man all results on page 12. Sean Connery was called Tom Connery of Scotland and listed as "also competed" I didnt know him or of him at the time and certainly didnt think he stood out. The editor of the Mail , wrote back, thanked me for the letter and inserts,(mag and official lists) and said he would make sure his depts got the record straight. Now i dont blame Connery, he never actually claimed it himself, but neither did he ever try to stop the myth. what makes me sad is the guy who really won third must be a bit miffed after all these years.I often wonder why the judges of the contest have never kicked up about the wrong information??Tom or Sean trained at Dave Websters gym for a while, Dave said he was definately very strong. Tom also modelled posing trunks for a swimware company, and was in the musical South Pacific, his main interest all the time was acting at which he of course became famous as James Bond. David Gentle or Joe Smith if 007 comes looking for me...
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
David asked me to post this link to the issue in Health and Strength that features the full story on the Universe contest.
https://www.davidgentle.com/seanconnery.pdf
Diane Robert
Chief Librarian/Site Administrator

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:13 pm

Thank you Diane and David,
very clear there for all to see. Now i notice that James Lawrie was representing Scotland, was he a current Mr.Scotland at the time? Anyone know?
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates