HEALTH AND STRENGTH MAGAZINE

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderators: Harry Hayfield, peter yates, DannyBoy

peter yates

Re: HEALTH AND STRENGTH MAGAZINE

Post by peter yates » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:50 pm

Hi Handson, you are a champion mate.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

raynobile

Post by raynobile » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:34 pm

thanks handson for your dilligence and hard work, much appreciated, regards, ray.

Handson

Post by Handson » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:37 am

Peter

Thanks.
The delving was as usual helped by garnering seemingly small details such as the names of George Greenwood's children.
The final stumbling block to finding his death details, however trivial it may seem, is not knowing what the "E" stood for in his second forename.
If someone knows what his full name was let's have it please.

Alternatively there are two other ways of obtaining this info short of contacting any remaining descendants:
1. Applying for a copy of his birth certification from the GRO (ca £10);
2. Someone digging out the January 1984 Musclemag which is said to contain George E. Greenwood's obituary.

Regarding the 1984 Musclemag there is currently a copy on sale on Ebay.
However it's in the USA and the postage alone to the U.K. is almost £30 otherwise I might have gone for it to save a few more hours spent trying to track George's demise.
Depending on the seller's filing system it may be worth contacting him to see if he'd look up the info in the magazine but that's a long shot.

Handson
Attachments
musclemag Jan 1984.png
musclemag Jan 1984.png (779.39 KiB) Viewed 198 times

Mobster

Post by Mobster » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:45 pm

I just dug out that very issue (nice to know it's worth some money). The article , page 19, was written by our very own David Gentle. In the last but one paragraph David states:

'GEORGE GREENWOOD died suddenly on Saturday 9th July 1983 of a seizure. A tragic loss to his family and friends, leaving behind a loving wife, son Tony and daughter Hilary.'

There's no mention of what the E stands for

Handson

Post by Handson » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:30 pm

Thanks a lot for clarifying that.
Handson

Handson

Post by Handson » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:50 pm

O.K. chaps here're the final answers.

He was George Ernest Greenwood.

He was not 62 when he died as has been suggested he was actually 65. This discrepancy was steering me to the wrong date of birth.

He was born on 5 August 1917 in Thanet, Kent NOT in December 1921 in Luton.

He married in Thanet in 1939 as I previously said.

He actually had three children a boy and two girls.

He DID die in July 1983 so that piece of information is sound.

He was buried in Canterbury City Cemetery on 15 July 1983 aged 65 years. https://cccgenealogy.canterbury.gov.uk/ ... x?ID=52709

His wife Joan Marjorie Greenwood died 25 years later aged 90 years and was buried in the same grave as George Ernest on 19 December 2008. https://cccgenealogy.canterbury.gov.uk/ ... x?ID=70136

So there we have it -nothing more to add & OCD session over.

Handson

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:03 pm

drob357 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:23 pm
David asked me to post the second article he wrote re George Greenwood's death. Our thanks to Paul Shaw for locating it.

greenwoodg.pdf
Hi Handson, here is the piece by David in MMI supplied by Paul shaw which i think you missed earlier.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:05 pm

Handson wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:50 pm
O.K. chaps here're the final answers.

He was George Ernest Greenwood.

He was not 62 when he died as has been suggested he was actually 65. This discrepancy was steering me to the wrong date of birth.

He was born on 5 August 1917 in Thanet, Kent NOT in December 1921 in Luton.

He married in Thanet in 1939 as I previously said.

He actually had three children a boy and two girls.

He DID die in July 1983 so that piece of information is sound.

He was buried in Canterbury City Cemetery on 15 July 1983 aged 65 years. https://cccgenealogy.canterbury.gov.uk/ ... x?ID=52709

His wife Joan Marjorie Greenwood died 25 years later aged 90 years and was buried in the same grave as George Ernest on 19 December 2008. https://cccgenealogy.canterbury.gov.uk/ ... x?ID=70136

So there we have it -nothing more to add & OCD session over.

Handson
Great work Handson and thanks to all other concerned in tracking down this information.Terrific HOPC team work.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:21 pm

Re George Greenwood, the Shaw investigation team, namely Sue has been sending me a batch of certificates and refere nces, trouble being there were several George Greenwoods keep popping up to mess the issue. Two main things The son Anthony was born 1940 in Staffs and the daughter Hillary born 1949 in Battersea, a long bit in between, maybe to Georges travells or perhaps they lost siblings?(the middle girl?) but both birth certificates state the Father of course George and the mother parents of both children, The monthers name was previously Moon. As noted they moved around the shall we say London area, and Geoge was at Cantebury a long time, having a business there, running mags, photographer, journalist, selling courses etc. And yes his middle name was Ernest, but somewhere another name comes into virew that of Lucas?? its still a puzzle. When he retired they came down to as i said previous living near to me in Lymington, but after death, went back to his earlier roots. For my own peace of mind i will put together all of the new info Sue has sent me, ie. actual copies of the info, addresses from directories, etc . Murking the water all the time is the other Greenwood who keeps popping up. but we have the right one. David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
http://davidgentle.com

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:42 pm

RE Greenwood, via Sue Shaw, couple of bits,George and wife , lived with his son Tony and wife Marcia in 1965 at 42 Willowhayne Gardens Sutton Surrey, this i think is where Hilary was born? no mention of any other children, George never spoke to me about losing or having another daughter, His dear wife Joan was very frail and emotional, took Georges death very bad, but she must have been well enough to live to 90, i assume they went back to the Surrey address after George died from the Lymington home, i often went by after and thought of him when on a visit to Lymington a market town in the New Forest. David re his death, i had forgotten exact date, so the one i gave first was just an enstimate, when searching on the geonology sites, its ok to give 5 or 10 years search periods if you dont know exact date and a lot of water has gone under the bridge for me since those days, after 60 years of marriage ones memory gets a bit clouded or in my case obliterated. David
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
http://davidgentle.com