Has Anyone Heard of This Impressive-Looking Guy?

Post questions concerning the History of Physical Culture and we will try our best to answer them for you.

Moderators: DannyBoy, Harry Hayfield, David Gentle

Handson

Has Anyone Heard of This Impressive-Looking Guy?

Post by Handson » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:31 pm

Hi All

He's Peter Fedotovich Krylov a Russian athlete (1871 - 1933).

What a pair of arms of 18 1/4" at a height of 170cm or 5' 6" old terms and bodyweight 88 kg or just under 14 stones.

Apparently the magazine 'Hercules' in 1914 published an article Krylov with a description of his training which I have not seen but perhaps someone can enlighten us with the article.

In a Russian language discussion about Krylov he is said to train his legs by repeatedly climbing up and down stairs 'with a heavy man across his shoulders'.
I attach a couple of photos of him.

Handson
Attachments
Peter Krylov 2.png
Peter Krylov 2.png (478.04 KiB) Viewed 71 times
Peter Krylov 1.jpg
Peter Krylov 1.jpg (8.62 KiB) Viewed 71 times

peter yates

Re: Has Anyone Heard of This Impressive-Looking Guy?

Post by peter yates » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:20 pm

Hi Handson, i have seen several photos Krylov and read information about him on the Iron History forum. Not sure if he wrote a training book too. Must go back and check on that. Solid build, thanks for posting.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:33 pm

Great photo, looks to me he would have been a good wrestler,those arms are amazing especially his forearms. Re the going up the stairs, cant remember off hand, but one old timer, in a circus, used to climb a ladder with a small horse over his shoulder. Back in the day when i had to work for a living, i worked on construction or "the building" industry and was a "hod carrier", you certainly didnt need to do squats after a day of humping bricks all day. David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:14 pm

Hi David,
two Australian old time strongmen that carried horses up ladders were Don Athaldo and Paul Apollo Anderson, though there were others of course.I never carried a horse but like you David carried the hod and then when i became a roofer we carried all the tiles up on our shoulder, real leg builders for sure.Health and safety won't allow it now but if they did i do not think there would be many who could do it anyway.As they say "they don't make em like the used to. ;)
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates