New Routine! The older I get, the better I was!

Topics that focus on building strength and muscle using old school and modern training techniques. Post questions, share training tips and programs.

Moderator: peter yates

28kgKB

New Routine! The older I get, the better I was!

Post by 28kgKB » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:56 am

TG = Total Gym

Day 1: Chest + Light Triceps

Flat Bench Press: 4 Sets (8-10 reps)
TG Incline Press: 4 Sets (8-10 reps)
Triceps Pushdown – band attached to the top of my power rack: 3 Sets (9-12 reps)
Decline Dumbbell Flyes: 4 sets(8-12 reps)
Skull Crushers: 3 Sets (9-12 reps)
TG Decline Bench Press: 4 Sets (8-10 reps each)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day 2: Back + (Light) Biceps

Seated Cable Rows: 2 sets (8-10 reps)
Iron Cross on TG: 2 sets (8-10 reps) Starting from above the head and moving the cables along side the body to the thighs
Seated Cable Rows: 2 sets (8-10 reps)
Hammer curls: 3 sets ( 8-12 reps)
Shrugs: 2 sets (8-10 reps)
Barbell curl: 3 sets 8-10 (reps)
Straight-Arm Pulldown: 2 sets (8-10 reps)
Concentration Curls: 3 sets (8-12 reps)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day 3: Core + cardio session

20-25 min core workout followed by a cardio session usually recumbent biking
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day 4: Shoulders + (Heavy) Triceps

Seated Dumbbell Press: 4 sets (8-10 reps)
Military Press: 4 sets (8-10 reps)
Close Grip Bench Press: 4 sets (8-10 reps)
Side Lateral Raise: 4 sets (8-12 reps
Standing Triceps Extension: 4 sets (8-12 reps) holding a barbell plate
Front Lateral Raise: 4 sets (8-12 reps) holding a barbell plate
Triceps Pushdown – Band: 4 sets (8-12 reps)
Reverse Flyes: 4 sets (8-12 reps)
Shrugs: 3 sets (8-10 reps)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day 5: Legs + (Heavy) Biceps

TG Squats: 4 sets (high reps)
Wide-Grip Standing Barbell Curl: 4 sets (8-12 reps)
TG Squats: 3 sets (high reps)
Spider Curl: 4 sets (8-10 reps)
TG Calf Raise: 4 sets (8-12 reps)
Leg Curls: 3 sets (8-12 reps)
TG Bicep Curl: 3 sets (8-12 reps)
Leg Extensions: 3 sets (8-12 reps) NOTE: please skip if you have knee complications.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day 6: Rest (Light Core Workout)

Rest day (optimal light core workout in the morning)

Day 7: Rest

Embarking on a Monday thru Friday kind of routine now. Off bench pressing three days a week like I was. Sort of following the model of Chef Robert Irvine's style of training. He's a middle aged guy (50's), who travels throughout the year and still manages to maintain an impressive physique despite traveling all the time. He trains one body part a day, but similar to what I got going on here. The workouts last 30-60 minutes max, depending on what I'm doing and the Total Gym is working great for me right now. No stress on joints, no pain on my back and neck, which are wrought with injury issues from years past. A hernia repair and jacked up knees make squatting and deadlifting a thing of the past, but squatting on the Total Gym is awesome...no pain, no weight on the back, no knee pain. No more heavy weights....I was doing power rack training for the bench and while it worked and my bench press came up after awhile, as I knew would happen, it starts to jack up your joints a bit. I was reaching a point of diminishing returns and decided to back off the heavy weights and go back old school and do more reps with a little bit lighter weight and start "bodybuilding" again. Its all good!

peter yates

Re: New Routine! The older I get, the better I was!

Post by peter yates » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:28 pm

Hi John,
great to hear from you mate and thanks for the update on your training. Glad it is working well for you and most of all you are injury free and enjoying it. Not sure if you read the article i wrote a few weeks ago on training and aging, but in it i mentioned that while heavy power rack work, forced reps, triples and singles are great for building up bone,tendon and ligament strength in the younger trainee,past a certain point those same training methods will actually start to destroy the joints. I and many older than me have found that as the years and training pile up a switch to higher reps, perfect form and more of a bodybuilding type program fits the bill. Let's face it what do we need to prove anymore after a certain point.Health, vitality, ease of movement and all round function are real goals for the older trainer,PR benches and 18 inch arms are goals better suited to the young guns. Training longevity comes with training smart and doing it our own way. As always good luck with your training and keep us updated.BTW big fan of Total Gym myself, versatile and good for working around injury or impairment and targeting certain areas.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates