Basic routine for the over 40's

Ray Nobile, World Champion Bodybuilder & Powerlifter is the Chief Moderator for this Forum. Ray invites you to post questions regarding your training and dietary concerns.

Moderators: drob357, raynobile

Internalfitness

Basic routine for the over 40's

Post by Internalfitness » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:47 pm

Hello Ray,

Seems a shame to see this resource underused, so I have a question if that's OK?

I'm 40 years old, not in terrible shape, no injuries to nurse other than an umbilical hernia I try not to aggravate, but I would like to improve my overall strength (and just try something a bit different; I use resistance bands and bodyweight routines as a general rule).

Equipment I have at my disposal:

Barbell + Dumbbells (various weights)
Kettlebells (various)
Reebok Deck (pictured)
Reebok Deck.jpg
Reebok Deck.jpg (20.95 KiB) Viewed 362 times
Resistance Bands / Expanders (various strengths)

I am able to workout at the same time 3-4 times per week for up to 30 minutes at a time.

My aim is not to 'go heavy' not least because I will be working out alone, but ultimately to end up with what I would term a 'maintenance' routine; something I can have as my go-to weights routine.

Happy to answer any further questions.

Richie.

raynobile

Re: Basic routine for the over 40's

Post by raynobile » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:05 am

hi richie, thanks for your post. unfortunatly i am unable to answer your question.i have no expierience with the use of strands or bands. the go to man is peter for this. if you enjoy the training you are doing then stick with it. 4 times a week for 30 minutes is suficient. do you train at home? if so you could do a type of circuit training routine.using the equipment you have. go from one exercise to another with no rest inbetween, exercises to cover the whole body. 2 to 3 circuits should be able to be done in 30 minutes. . regards, ray.

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:21 pm

Although i plug strands and even use them, i agree with Ray, for faster results in both strength and endurance stick with those various weighted dumbells you have ,and as Ray says 4 times as week is plenty to give muscle chance to grow and recuperate. I would write back to Ray and get him to set you out a varied set of routines for the next three months making gradual progression with heavier dumbells. you have the benches and must know the need for proper nutrition. David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

raynobile

Post by raynobile » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:04 am

richie, do you have access to a chining bar and diping bar. i note you like to do bodyweight exercises. a great way to get a complete upper body workout done in 10 to 15 minutes, is to do chins superseted with dips. do a set of chins to failure then a set of dips to failure, repeat this for 3 to 5 sets. no rest between exercises or sets. you will find you may get say 10 reps the first set, however by the 3rd set you will be down to lower reps, 3 or 4 usually. important thing to do is go to failure every set. this rouyine will work every muscle in the upper body, except abbs and lower back. so as you shouls have time left then you can do abb work and lower back work. regards, ray,

Internalfitness

Post by Internalfitness » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:29 pm

Just to close this off (and to show Ray and David I wasn't ignoring them!), I've actually gone for the following (and am a week into it):

Barbell routine (with single dumbbell for single exercise):

Squat (bar on crossed arms - I find this comfortable): 3 x 10
Alternating with:
Straight arm pullover (the single barbell) 3 x 10

Bench Press: 3 x 10
Upright Row: 3 x 10
Military Press: 3 x 10
Press Ups: 3 x 10
Side bends (bar only): 3 x 10
Knees to chest (lying down): 3 x 10

After workout #1 I nearly swapped out the upright row as I wasn't 100% keen on the feeling, but that may have been weight related. After workout #3 everything felt pretty good. Still pretty much done by the last 2-3 reps, so will give it another week before adding a little.

Will review the whole thing after a month.

Richie.

raynobile

Post by raynobile » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:42 am

hi richie, you should include some form of back work. i sugest bent over rows with a barbell. this will also indirectly work the biceps, as i notice you dont do any direct bicep exercises. the pressing movements will take care of the triceps. you mention doing squats with arms crossed. is this the front squat with the bar resting on the clavicles? regards, ray.

Internalfitness

Post by Internalfitness » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:53 am

Hi Ray,

Whoops, forgot to add I do bicep curls with bar 3 x 10. But the bent over row would be a good one to add.

And yes - that’s how I do the squats.

Richie

raynobile

Post by raynobile » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:35 pm

its all good then.looking forward to your updates. regards, ray.