General Election 2019

Electoral process and election results for England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland

Moderator: Harry Hayfield

Harry Hayfield

General Election 2019

Post by Harry Hayfield » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:22 am

Over the last few months the Prime Minister (Boris Johnson, Con, Uxbridge) has been trying to get a general election under the terms of the Fixed Term Parliament Act. This act states that a general election will be held on the first Thursday in May five years after the last general election and was passed by the Conservative / Liberal Democrat coalition of 2010- 2015 in order to stop Prime Ministers "cutting and running" when electoral fortunes favoured them. However, the Conservatives were dead set again it, but conceded provided that Parliament had a chance to short circuit the procedure by having 429 MP's vote for a general election (it was this method that Theresa May called the 2017 election). This time however Labour have abstained, causing Boris Johnson to demand "I want an election, the country wants an election, does the right honourable gentleman, the Leader of the Opposition, want one like he has been calling for since 2017 or not?" and as a result will today table a bill that reads "This House believes that a General Election should be held on December 12th 2019", however it can be amended and already some 17 amendments along the lines of "and a referendum on the United Kingdom's membership of the European Union to be held at a date to be determined by committee" have been added.

However, most experts believe the bill will pass and there will be a general election in the second week of the December in the United Kingdom, therefore I shall be posting regular updates from the campaign and would therefore like to ask members (especially those from outside the United Kingdom) to post any questions they have about the election procedure, policies or just general information about elections in the United Kingdom and I shall do my best to answer them
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

raynobile

Re: General Election 2019

Post by raynobile » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:49 pm

hi harry, in your opinion what difference will a general election do as regards brexit, do you think consevitives will win? i have lived in bulgaria for 16 years now, and i can tell you britain is the laughin stock among the bulgarians regarding leaving the european union thay cant understand why 3 and a half years after the british public voted to leave that they are still in the european union. regards, ray.

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:59 pm

raynobile wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:49 pm
hi harry, in your opinion what difference will a general election do as regards brexit, do you think consevitives will win? i have lived in bulgaria for 16 years now, and i can tell you britain is the laughin stock among the bulgarians regarding leaving the european union thay cant understand why 3 and a half years after the british public voted to leave that they are still in the european union. regards, ray.
I am quite frankly, Ray, not in the least bit surprised. Here in the United Kingdom Parliament (as an institution) used to have quite good ratings (around 75% trusted Parliament to keep the executive in check), the most recent poll put that figure at just 29% and the main reason why is that most of the MP's elected (even those elected on "we will follow the instruction to LEAVE given to us by the people of Britain") are actually in favour of REMAIN. Will the Conservatives win? Well, in theory, yes, over 60% of the LEAVE vote is heading their way, however a poll published a few days ago asking "If Brexit DID NOT happen on October 31st, how would you vote?" suggested that Labour would have a 1% lead over the Conservatives with the Brexit Party taking half of those Leave voting Conservatives.
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:01 pm

The General Election motion has passed all its Commons stages, a general election will be held in the UK on December 12th 2019

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:14 pm

Parliament will be formally dissolved at 0001 GMT tomorrow morning with the formal ceremonies being held this evening in the House of Lords. Tomorrow, the Prime Minister will travel to Buckingham Palace to inform Her Majesty that Parliament has been dissolved before returning to Downing Street and making a formal statement which will officially launch the General Election of 2019.