Bill Pearl 89

Latest announcements and news from the History of Physical Culture.

Moderators: DannyBoy, Harry Hayfield, drob357

peter yates

Bill Pearl 89

Post by peter yates » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:31 pm

Bill Pearl turned 89 today.One of the very best built and strongest men of the 20th century and still training at age 89 even with Parkinson's disease. Surly an inspiration to us all. Many more birthdays to the great Bill Pearl.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

David Gentle

Re: Bill Pearl 89

Post by David Gentle » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:40 pm

Wish i had remembered Bills birthday, would have sent him a card. theres no doubt about it, he is the nicest bloke in bodybuilding and generously gave me many things. i wrote part of his trilogy Legends of The Iron Game, a set of books i recommend you get if you can. Bill was always good with his fans, and always had time for them, none of this having to pay megga dollars for a signature from some pumped up steroid freak. did you know he was once a great (proper) wrestler, and also very strong being one of the first guys to blow up and burst hot water bottles (I know John Citrone did likeways, john was also a fan of Bills) so thanks Peter for letting me know, will write him a letter and let him know what we are all doing trying to keep the history of bodybuilding alive with our site. David GEntle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:52 pm

BTW forgot to add that Roy Callender also celebrates a birthday today. Still a young un at 75. Best wishes to him.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Jim Duggan

Post by Jim Duggan » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:28 pm

Yes, Bill Pearl has a well-deserved reputation for being a gentleman, as well as one of the great bodybuilders of all time. I had the pleasure of meeting him during the mid 90s, at a Club Industry trade show in N.Y.C. He was representing an equipment company, the name of which escapes me, and he was greeting the attendees that would visit his section. I was with several other giys, and we had the chance to speak to him. What a nice guy! He could not have been more friendly, or down to earth. I had the feeling that, if he could, he would have spent the entire day with us. At least that's how he made us feel. He was 65 at the time, but he could have easily passed for being in his late forties. A testimony to living a lifestyle of a strength, health, and fitness.
BTW, at that very same trade show were several other famous lifting/bodybuilding "celebrities." All of them were friendly, and nice with one notable exception. A former Mr. Universe turned tv star who was charging money to take pictures with him. An incredible jerk. But, I guess that happens when you perceive yourself as being a "star."

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:24 pm

Hi Jim, thanks for sharing your experience with Bill. Yes the stars of yesteryear for the most part were very genuine, friendly and willing to be of help to their fans. So different than what is presented today.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:39 pm

Hi, I have written to Bill at his home address, so await a reply which i will let you read when he replies, i am sure he will be happy to join our happy gang and what a scoop it will be for us to have one of the greatest bodybuillders of all time along with us on the site. David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com