Old timers exercises and methods

Topics that focus on building strength and muscle using old school and modern training techniques. Post questions, share training tips and programs.

Moderator: peter yates

Per Hedberg

Old timers exercises and methods

Post by Per Hedberg » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:01 pm

Hello,
I´m curious to know if anyone of you are using the old timers methods and exercises you can find in the author´s library? If so, which one/s?
Regards,
Per

David Gentle

Re: Old timers exercises and methods

Post by David Gentle » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:19 pm

Hi Per, I suggest to avoid all the hype and not a little expense, you use anything as advised by the old time, genuine trainer of champions as he trained more Mr Britains than anyone else, his articles and some in ebook for are on the site, save time energy and money if you use his advice, eg, his strength system is amazing, he also offers alternatives to expensive supplements by suggesting your own protein drinks, nor will you over train or use up nervous energy, take a browse mate best wishes David GEntle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

raynobile

Post by raynobile » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:29 am

hi david you are talking about don dorans in the above post? i can vouch for his methods as he trained me to win the junior mr scotland in 1969 and 70. he also told me to follow the maxalding course, as it would help me with my posing routine. a gem of a man, his advice regarding training and nutrition were way ahead of his time. regards, ray.

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:20 pm

Hi Ray , yes of course, i did mean the one and only Don Dorans, must have been having one of my turns to have missed out his name. by co incidence today got a letter from Adam Glass, and we were speaking about Don and praising him and you too get a mention as to how he helped you. What i didnt know was he was part Italian! i know he was one of the few who sold courses and genuinely each and every course was designed for the individual, and some of his apparatus was fantastic, i especially liked his squat maching, no more back ache. just cant give him enough praise, luckily most of his stuff is on our site for those interest in real bodybuilding without all the bull shit. David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture

Per Hedberg

Post by Per Hedberg » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:41 pm

Hi David,
Thank you so much for your reply and for your recommendation of Don Dorans. Is any of his routines and writing about alternatives to expensive supplements available in the HOPC library? Are they like your great routines you have in your courses? Could you explain what the exercise squat maching is? Since my lower back aggravates from time to time, I´m always looking for exercises to do without back pain. Thank you for your help and advice.
Kind regards,
Per

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:50 pm

Hi Per, i too had a serious back problem , at one long period needing to wear a steel corset. so know all about back pain. Dons device is hard to explain, basically like sitting back on a lean back chair, supporting your back and then pushing your legs out sort of leg press style but on the incline, as i said not very good at explaining and i think our dear late Sticks did some drawings of the machine, if i find a photo, will put it on the site. Main problem with squats is going too low and bending your lower spine, you could try bench hack squats, thats load the barbell across your bench, stand in front of the bar, then using legs alone squat up and down the bench preventing you dropping too low and that style also takes some of the aches from holding weights on your shoulders, you could also try front squats, dont try heavy weights, just decent poundages and add the reps to pump thighs, the exercise forces you to maintain an upright spine position otherwise the bar, held at your chest/front shoulders would fall off. i repeat go slow, take it easy, use embrocation before exercise on the lower back and a decent lifting belt. David
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture

Per Hedberg

Post by Per Hedberg » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:10 pm

Hi David, many thanks for your advice regarding alternatives how to train with back problems. As you wrote one, my main problem has been going too low and relaxing in the bottom position. Also, excess forward lean is a result of this. I will definitely try your suggested alternatives to regular back squatting. I will also try and see how it feels to have some weights under my heels or wearing weightlifting shoes when I squat.
Kind regards, Per

Per Hedberg

Post by Per Hedberg » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:17 pm

Hi David,
Sorry for deviate a little from the original topic but could you tell me if you have any good exercises you recommend that would strengthen my lower back? I know that core exercises are usually recommended but some of those don´t prevent but cause me back pain.
Regards,
Per

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:18 pm

Great exercise and safe for the spine is "hyperextensions." lay face down on a bench so that you are leaning over at the hips,, get your training partner to sit on your lower back to hold you down and then just lower yourself, top half only to the floor and then return to the upright position, do 3 sets of 12 reps without any weights, as you get stronger, hold a bar behind your neck to add resistance. dont bounce or overstrain. great ex for the erector spinae. If you suffer with a bad back, dont do dead lifts or straight legged leg raises for abs, ,always unlockl your knees. David
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture

Tom K

Post by Tom K » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:55 am

About lower backs, you need to concentrate hard on your upper back which really protects the lower back. Shoulder retracted and lats tensed hard will make it much easier.

Some people find it much easier to keep the spine locked in neutral position on low bar.

The biggest issue is stance. Get onto your knees and support your body with your hands. Rock back onto your calfs while trying to keep a neutral spine and feel if you get a "back break" where your lower back flexes.

Once you feel it, widen or narrow your legs and try again. Keep doing it until you can rock all the way back without a lower spine flex. This ends up being the stance to take to squat where your lower back doesn't flex. For me, this is just wider than shoulder width. If you're very inflexible, it maybe wider.

The other good tip is to put all your heavy low back stuff on the same day. Squats, deadlift variations, rows, standing presses etc. Then the other workouts during the week, keep it rested by doing Pullups, seated presses, etc. This gives your low back time to recover for the next heavy workout. Get rid of any low back bending abs exercises as well. Save your low back rounding for tying your shoe laces and do planks or reverse hypers, frog kicks etc.

Or even do heavy, medium, light weeks. One week heavy, one week medium, then Light week giving you several weeks to recover.

Low backs are a bit like radiation poisoning. Better to take the hit all at once and recover than lots of little hits constantly. Consider your posture at work and at home to reduce the fatigue