HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Latest announcements and news from the History of Physical Culture.

Moderators: DannyBoy, Harry Hayfield, drob357

peter yates

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Post by peter yates » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:08 pm

Wishing all members of the HOPC library and forum a very happy holiday season and the very,very best for 2020.May it bring peace,good health and prosperity to all.And David, don't eat too much cake mate.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

raynobile

Re: HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Post by raynobile » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:30 am

like peter i wish all members a merry xmas and a guid new year, may your lum reek well. an old scottish saying. :lol:

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:33 pm

To Peter and Ray, too late, my tum is already bigger than the Dinnie Stones, so i think my "lum is already reeking" whatever that means, wish you guys would speak proper English like as what i do. RE the Dinnie stones, just been watching the history channel and the five guys w s men attempting the various lifts of ancient strong men, very interesting......gotta go, Rose has just asked me if i want cream or ice cream on my pud, i said, whats wrong with both???DAvid Happy new year to you all.
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:44 pm

David Gentle wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:33 pm
To Peter and Ray, too late, my tum is already bigger than the Dinnie Stones, so i think my "lum is already reeking" whatever that means, wish you guys would speak proper English like as what i do. RE the Dinnie stones, just been watching the history channel and the five guys w s men attempting the various lifts of ancient strong men, very interesting......gotta go, Rose has just asked me if i want cream or ice cream on my pud, i said, whats wrong with both???DAvid Happy new year to you all.
I regret to say that my Christmas has not been terribly happy on multiple counts. First, I have had sciatica since the beginning of November which means that I can only hobble to the nearby post office (82 yards) and back without seizing up (which as a result means that the plan I had to post Christmas cards to David, Peter and Diane whose addresses I have was kyboshed to such an extent that I was only able to send a card to Diane before the last posting date), to which was compounded the fact that my grandmother (who I have been caring for since 2005) has had multiple bouts of constipation due to the medical regime she is on which causes her to declare every so often "my tummy hurts" and therefore doorbell me multiple times a day (upwards of twenty, once every seventy two minutes day and night) which has been caused by my grandfather slipping twice in the space of twelve hours weeks ago and being in hospital ever since and unable to be discharged until the council (who have been even slower than the three weeks it took them to arrange the same thing for my grandmother) have arranged a suitable care package. In other words, I have not had a Christmas because I have not had a chance to catch up on the sleep I need (I am lucky to get three hours of continuous night-time sleep on occasions), have been in pain for every day of the last nine weeks and have not had a family Christmas for the second year in a row (last Christmas was cancelled due to an outbreak of Norwalk)
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:34 pm

Hi Harry,
sorry to hear you have been having such a difficult time recently.You are engaged in a heroic task caring for your grandparents,they are blessed to have you,and when they are no longer with you, you will know you did all that you could to bring some ease into their final years. I truly hope that things improve for you in the coming year and you all find some peace and comfort. We are all rooting for you my friend,stay strong.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Talbot

Post by Talbot » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:32 pm

I wish all of you a Healthy, Happy, and Prosperous New Year!

I'll be raising a glass tonight, to honor the memory of our late friend, Chris "Sticks" Bostick, who we unfortunately lost this year.