Training Logs for 2020

Topics that focus on building strength and muscle using old school and modern training techniques. Post questions, share training tips and programs.

Moderator: peter yates

Talbot

Re: Training Logs for 2020

Post by Talbot » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:14 am

@Harry: I would not recommend resistance bands as a primary method of exercise. As an extra, with other exercises, maybe. And while you consider your house to be "not that big", it is hard to image that it is so small that you wouldn't have room for a pair of five pound dumbbells? You have access to the PC five pound dumbbell training courses in the library here. They work. Especially in your current situation, they would be ideal for you.

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:56 am

Talbot wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:14 am
@Harry: I would not recommend resistance bands as a primary method of exercise. As an extra, with other exercises, maybe. And while you consider your house to be "not that big", it is hard to image that it is so small that you wouldn't have room for a pair of five pound dumbbells? You have access to the PC five pound dumbbell training courses in the library here. They work. Especially in your current situation, they would be ideal for you.
It is that small. If I lie down in my bedroom with my head resting on the outside wall, my feet reach the bed, I cannot extend my arms because my left arm would hit a cupboard and my right arm would hit a fireplace. I, literally, do not have any room to swing a cat, in fact I would be very hard pressed to swing a mouse in my bedroom.
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

Mobster

Post by Mobster » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:53 pm

Train in the garden

Friday
Close Grip Bench Press
to 145-kilos x 2, 3, and 3 reps

Faffing about with the one hand lift and then turned it into a hip and thigh lift. Knackered a belt clip (had to bend it back after).

Low Cable Rows
to stack x 15 reps

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:41 pm

Harry Hayfield wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:56 am
Talbot wrote:
It is that small. If I lie down in my bedroom with my head resting on the outside wall, my feet reach the bed, I cannot extend my arms because my left arm would hit a cupboard and my right arm would hit a fireplace. I, literally, do not have any room to swing a cat, in fact I would be very hard pressed to swing a mouse in my bedroom.
Sorry Harry, but if you are really serious about training you will find away. Everyone of the regulars here have had to train in many less than ideal situations,yet got the job done. There are so many ideas on the forum and in the library, you just have to be creative and do SOMETHING,which will always be better than NOTHING. Light dumbbells, expanders,body weight, all will work if you will. Now you have some time use it wisely.Good luck.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Talbot

Post by Talbot » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:01 pm

Harry Hayfield wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:56 am
Talbot wrote:
@Harry: Then I would suggest, that there are other areas in your home that you could do lying down exercises with light dumbbells, and save the bedroom for standing and sitting light dumbbell exercises. If you have the will, then there is a way to get it done.

Mobster

Post by Mobster » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:43 am

Monday
SSB/Hatfield Squat
Paul had a go of these today
to 270-kilos x 5 reps (hard on the neck)

Leg Press
to 360-kilos x 20 reps

Seated Leg Curls
to stack x 30 r/p reps

Leg Extensions
to stack x 30 very hard reps

Mobster

Post by Mobster » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:47 pm

Tuesday
Two Hand Pinch
to 108.7-kilos x 8 x 1 reps

Mobster

Post by Mobster » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:48 am

Thursday
Seated Press
to 112.5-kilos x 4 reps

Hammer DB Curls
to 90-kilos x 10 reps @

TPD
to 15.5p x 6 reps

Bwt: 300lbs sans hoody

Mobster

Post by Mobster » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:44 am

Friday
Woke at stupid o'clock and got up early. Slightly knackered myself for the gym after. Paul had an appt so...

Close Grip Bench Press
to 145-kilos x 2, 3, 2+F (had to roll it off and completely reset the bar. More embarrassing than anything then 2, 2 reps

Pullover Machine
to stack x 15 reps

DOTBDL
to 197.5 x 2 x 1 and 1 fail (about half way up) reps

Bwt: 301lbs

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:47 pm

The United Kingdom government has just announced that all gyms in the United Kingdom are to close after closing time tonight
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51981653
meaning that we are all going to become true physical culturists by training in the privacy of our own homes.
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)