Arrived! Muscleaneous Issue 8

Latest announcements and news from the History of Physical Culture.

Moderators: DannyBoy, Harry Hayfield, drob357

drob357
Site Admin

Arrived! Muscleaneous Issue 8

Post by drob357 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:32 pm

NEW ARRIVAL IN THE HISTORY OF PHYSICAL CULTURE LIBRARY!
Check out this special New Years resolution edition! Packed with rare photos, PC memorabilia, jokes, book recommendations, etc.

MUSCLEANOUS ISSUE NO. 8 BY DAVID GENTLE, PC HISTORIAN

Subscribe today by visiting https://www.davidgentle.com
Diane Robert
Chief Librarian/Site Administrator
https://davidgentle.com

peter yates

Re: Arrived! Muscleaneous Issue 8

Post by peter yates » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:23 pm

Great,thanks Diane and David.Look forward to reading it.
Peter Yates

raynobile

Post by raynobile » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:03 am

great humorous read as usual. david you mention that you would like to see diferent lifts in strongman. i aggree. one lift i would like to see is herman goerners one handed deadlift of 727.5lbs or 330 kgs. it was allegedally [ wish i could spell but havnt attended school for 53 years ] :D it was done almost 100years ago and never been beaten. marion my wife is friends with gemma magnasun who is benni magnasuns wife. i got marion to ask gemma to ask benni if he could beat or equal goerners lift. benni reckons with a bit of training he could do it. this was a few years ago. pity benni never followed through. 10 or so years ago only benni and andy bolton could deadlift 1,000lbs or 455 kgs. now lots of strongmen can do this and infact exceed those poundages. so i reckon a number of them could beat goerners record. would love to see this event in wsm.

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:56 pm

I have not written an article for anything on here in quite a while but was inspired by all of things, a children's television programme called "Magic Hands". The programme, aimed at children under the age of seven, is part of the BBC's "Everyone's welcome" campaign which aims to have programmes broadcast by the BBC to be as completely inclusive as possible (whether it is having deaf presenters, presenters with a visible or invisible disability, having programmes with BAME characters or even addressing LGBTQ+ lifestyles).

In this edition which is part of a series where famous songs are signed, the song in today's episode was "That Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze" (a song which loads of us have heard) but they did the whole version which tells the story of a man's fiancée who runs off with the local trapeze artist when the local circus visits their town. Having not heard the song before, I Wiki'ed it and guess who "that daring young man" was? None other than Jules Leotard, of clothing fame, who was the son of a gymnastics instructor and therefore is a physical culturist.

Therefore I would like to write an article (following up my article about comic book physical culturists) of physical culturists mentioned in the arts (that's film, music, stage, books as well as paintings and the like) if anyone thinks that will be of any interest?
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:33 pm

Harry, take my word for it mate,anything you submit would be of interest.Looking forward to it.And i do love that song. ;)
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:34 pm

drob357 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:32 pm
NEW ARRIVAL IN THE HISTORY OF PHYSICAL CULTURE LIBRARY!
Check out this special New Years resolution edition! Packed with rare photos, PC memorabilia, jokes, book recommendations, etc.

MUSCLEANOUS ISSUE NO. 8 BY DAVID GENTLE, PC HISTORIAN

Subscribe today by visiting https://www.davidgentle.com
Another cracking good read,H&S loss is our gain.Keep em coming mate.
Peter Yates