Len Sell turns 85

Latest announcements and news from the History of Physical Culture.

Moderator: drob357

peter yates

Len Sell turns 85

Post by peter yates » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:10 am

Just heard via Ray Nobile that one of the best all time British Bodybuilders, NABBA Mr. Universe, Len Sell, turns 85 years young today.Len was packed with thick,well balanced muscle and was as strong as he looked. Still in good health, Len lives in Perth, Western Australia. From all at HOPC wishing him a wonderful birthday with many more to come.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

David Gentle

Re: Len Sell turns 85

Post by David Gentle » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:34 am

Really great to hear from Ray and Peter that Len Sell has had his 85th birthday and still going strong.I live in a small town in Hampshire, called Romsey, and our weight lifting club, ran by the late Podge Gunner managed to persuade Len to come down and put on a posing display at our annual gym show. He performed at the Romsey Town hall and was a great hit, especially to those who were not used to seeing such muscle on a handsome man. Len was a gentleman down to his toes, yet very strong, i have seen him bench press 2 x 200 dumb bells(??). Len i know got fed up with the beginning of the drug era and more or less retired from competition bodybuilding,after all he had won the top titles. I also remember, and hope he don't mind me saying, that the miserable old councillors who financed the show, were complaining about his fee of £30. peanuts today. Podge told them straight, can they imagine just how much time and effort he had put into building his fabulous and that he should have been paid triple the sum..its just good to know he is ok, good luck to him.David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com