antamo donnateli

Ray Nobile, World Champion Bodybuilder & Powerlifter is the Chief Moderator for this Forum. Ray invites you to post questions regarding your training and dietary concerns.

Moderators: drob357, raynobile

raynobile

antamo donnateli

Post by raynobile » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:50 am

antamo donnateli was born in stepford, london, england in 1913. he was orphaned at a very young age.he was fostered, along with his brother by a family in scotland. the familys name was dorans, antimos name was changed to don dorans. don went on to be a legend in british bodybuilding. wining mr britain and mr universe titles. he ran a succesful bodybuilding postal buisness from mid 1940s to mid 60s.catering for people of all ages and gender.all courses were tailored for each individual and hand writen by don personally.he trained a couple of mr britain winners. his knowledge of training and nutrition was unsurpassed and way ahead of its time.he trained me for my junior mr scotland wins.he recomend i send away for the maxalding courses, as this would help me control my muscles during my onstage posing routines. he authored many articles for health and strength magasines in the 1950s. he also designed many pieces of bodybuilding machines, all hand built by himself.david has spoke about these machines here on this site.don and i became firm friends throughout the years.i helped him backstage when he competed in the over 40s mr britain. don was 60 years of age then. competing against guys 20 years younger than him.he took 3rd place. when he posed the audience went wild. dons posing routine was built around muscle control, which most of the crowd had never seen before.don passed away in january of 1999. he was 86 years old. sleep well my friend.

peter yates

Re: antamo donnateli

Post by peter yates » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:11 pm

Hi Ray, thanks for this very interesting information about Antamo/Don.I had no idea that he was from Italian origins. Certainly one of the true pioneers of Physical Culture in the British Isles and great all round strength athlete.You were lucky to have known him and been trained by him.As you mention he was way ahead of his time in inventing machines for training,some that were claimed to have originated in the USA at a much later date.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:08 am

HI Ray i am delighted you have written such a good feature on Don Dorans. I think i have mentioned before how he trained me for nearly two years with his genuine personal schedules with which i made more progress than any other time or using any other system. later i got to see him in the flesh as it were and became good mates also with his wife(Vera) Don was a great pal of Arnold S when they trained at Wag Bennetts, and Don trained more potential Mr Britain's then any other, including famously Spencer Churchill, the latter whom i saw at the Annual britishwrestlersreunion.com . Spence is now over 90 yet still has a keen interest in the game. Don also invented some great training aids, the one i used most was his incline leg press or squat machine, a simple yet great device which took the pain out of having those heavy weights on your shoulders. Back to dear old Don on the site you will find his training system and i highly recommend it for those seeking some decent muscle gains.Thanks for the memories Ray. David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:29 am

Hi Ray,
speaking of Don Dorans, i came across some information about one of his contemporaries and wondered if you had met or knew him. His name is Gordon McKay from Inverness, bodybuilder/weightlifter and all round strongman. He came second to Dorans in the 1942 Mr.Britain and won the 1943 Mr.Britain. At his best he did SQ 535lb, DL 520,BP 420,PBN 250,strict curl 175 weighing 187lb at 5'9'',terrific lifts in any time frame.Also an accomplished Olympic lifter. The war years put a spanner in the works for his training but i think he made a comeback in the 1950s.Would like to know more about him.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

raynobile

Post by raynobile » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:55 am

hi peter, i only know of gordon mackay in what ive read in the magazines.however i will ask someone i know who researches scottish iron history, im sure he will have information on him.he was the person who found out dons real name. regards, ray.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:35 am

Thanks Ray,
one of the neat things i enjoy about researching strength history is uncovering these amazing all round strength athletes who were not so well known but deserve to be. Sites like HOPC and IH can help in doing that. Look forward to what you can come up with.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:58 am

Peter and Ray, one guy who knows all and other things besides about Scottish bodybuilders and lifters is a former lifter and writer name of Adam Glass, he may actually read our stuff , dont know, he does write to me with info, but dont have his address currently, if you know him, he is the guy to ask, meanwhile if and when i find his address will let you have it. I think Ray will know him???David, oh he writes for or contributes Tony Cooks "Back Hand Gazette" a journal not for the squeamish i warn you. David
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:53 am

Thanks David, i know Ray is in contact with Adam and assume it is Adam he is consulting with on this issue.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

raynobile

Post by raynobile » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:36 am

peter and david.correct it is adam glass. i did not mention his name as he told me he likes to fly under the radar so to speak.hence the reason he does not join davids or joe roarks sites. however he is on facebook and can be contacted there. regards, ray.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:09 pm

Hi Ray, just checking to see how your "rural" training is going. Did the weight set come yet and what interesting exercises did you come up with for the logs etc.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates