Seated shoulder press vs seated chest press

Topics that focus on building strength and muscle using old school and modern training techniques. Post questions, share training tips and programs.

Moderator: peter yates

peter yates

Re: Seated shoulder press vs seated chest press

Post by peter yates » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:30 pm

Thanks for the input Dave. There is no question that as we age we need to adjust our training,however we never really need to stop training other than due to accident or illness.The method you describe was a favorite of out dear Sticks.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

stanlystud

Re: Seated shoulder press vs seated chest press

Post by stanlystud » Sat May 23, 2020 9:10 am

peter yates wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:52 pm
Internalfitness wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:18 pm
Hi Peter, thanks for the advice - I'll follow that tomorrow. As to the rest of the routine, you're pretty much there:

Front squats
Basic deadlift
Chest press
Bent over row
Alternating grip pullovers
Overhand bicep curl
Alternating grip shoulder press
Roll out
Lying tricep extension to standing curl

I'll tweak it a little as I go, but not having to mess on changing weight is a definite bonus.

Richie.
Thanks Richie,covers everything. The reason we started with curls and did the big ones last was due to the amount of weight,We did not change the weight just kept it going back and forth,so while it was enough for curls and uptrght row it was not for the rest so by doing it that way we were getting a bit fatigued on the later ones making the weight feel heavier and keeping up the intensity.Can you clarify what you mean by alternating grips?
Regards,Peter.
I thought you wrote in an above post you did rope climbing first? It would not make any sense to train small muscles like biceps,triceps, forearms before the big ones as you put it. The only time this would be justified would be if doing pre-exhaust for a large muscle group such as chest. doing say flys before bench press no rest in between exercises. what you are suggesting will not pre-exhaust a muscle group like back or chest but rather hinder the training of a larger big one as you put it.
I would suggest he tries pre-exhaust, chest doing max flys then without rest max push ups. biceps preacher curls then close grip chins. Lats, pullovers then rows. Look up Pre-exhaust by Bob kennedy. make a weight feel heavy.
pre-exhaust is targeting the large muscle group with a so called isolation exercises(although true isolation is not possible but as good as) for that muscle group then a basic exercise. some people like this if they have joint pains.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8JElRRbTmE[/youtube]