corona virus closes gyms

Latest announcements and news from the History of Physical Culture.

Moderators: DannyBoy, Harry Hayfield, drob357

raynobile

corona virus closes gyms

Post by raynobile » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:50 pm

as from 13th march all gyms in bulgaria will be closed till april. this means i cannot train. ive been training consistently for 55 years, however i will adapt to suit the circumstances.i have 5 tons of logs in my barn. these were used to heat my house in the harsh bulgarian winters. i recently had a pellet boiler installed, so i have no need for the logs. now i have found that said logs will now be useful. i will use them for log pressing and other movements. some of the logs weigh up to 100kgs or 220lbs american.i will also load my wheelbarrow and push it around my vilage. i live in a house which is yards from a forrest which has lots of trails with varying inclines.should give me some good workouts and should be fun. i will also make use of my old maxalding courses. onwards and upwards, as the old saying goes.

David Gentle

Re: corona virus closes gyms

Post by David Gentle » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:03 pm

Ray,that is fascinating and you are to be admired how you are adapting to the current situation. you could almost make a movie out of your experiences, i can just see you now with a barrow load of logs running around the wilds. we used weights made out of tins full of concrete with a handle stuck in for when the concrete set, it did the job, although a bit rough on the skin. you will remember Ray when we began, weights were hard to find apart from George Grose, now they are every where and other places besides. i used to love painting the old discs different colours for different poundages, reds were 20s, greens 15s and so on. try to get a picture of you with a barrel load of logs, like the old pushing bricks in a wheelbarrow stunt. David
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:52 pm

Although the gym I am a member of is not closing, they have put up a notice asking people who are feeling ill not to use the gym and warning that if there is a case in Ceredigion, the gym will close and be deep cleaned. As I have said earlier, I am already self isolating and don't have the biggest place in the world to train but now it could get worse. This is what is being reported by ITV's political editor this evening:
People over 70 will be instructed by the government to stay in strict isolation at home or in care homes for four months, under a "wartime-style" mobilisation effort by the government likely to be enforced within the next 20 days.
Now, as that is what is happening at the moment with me, that is not a problem, but at the moment we get paid carers who come in three times a day for a total of two hours over those three visits who help with breakfast, lunch and dinner. If they are prevented from entering the house because of these rules, then I will start to make a major fuss saying "Okay, UK Government, we accept this, but how about a bit of fairness eh? We demand a minimum of £3.90 an hour before we will even consider agreeing to this!" (that would mean that every carer would receive £655.20 a week in pay (compared to the £65.52 a week we get at the moment) of which £93 would be paid in tax. This means that although the UK government would have to pay £3.538 billion in wages each week, they would get back £502 million back each week (and therefore perhaps they would take our concerns more seriously then)
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:04 pm

raynobile wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:50 pm
as from 13th march all gyms in bulgaria will be closed till april. this means i cannot train. ive been training consistently for 55 years, however i will adapt to suit the circumstances.i have 5 tons of logs in my barn. these were used to heat my house in the harsh bulgarian winters. i recently had a pellet boiler installed, so i have no need for the logs. now i have found that said logs will now be useful. i will use them for log pressing and other movements. some of the logs weigh up to 100kgs or 220lbs american.i will also load my wheelbarrow and push it around my vilage. i live in a house which is yards from a forrest which has lots of trails with varying inclines.should give me some good workouts and should be fun. i will also make use of my old maxalding courses. onwards and upwards, as the old saying goes.
Hi Ray, or should that be Buzz? I know you will find ways to train during this time,it is in your blood.I have trained all over the world in some remote places and always found ways to workout.One of my sayings is "Wherever your body is you have a gym."When i started training as a kid it was lifting rocks in an old quarry and any logs i found and when i go places i am always looking at things that could be used to train with if needed,or used as a weapon.If you have the barn you may also have a gin wheel that you can use to haul a sack of sand or logs,like in the Rocky movie.Should be easy enough to fit a pull up bar etc. The wheelbarrow idea is a good one and you could imagine you are back in strongman competition.Shouldering a log or bear hugging and walking with it are good too.If you have a tire and sledge hammer you could beat the crap out of it. Tie a rope round a log and drag it around, many options with limited resources.And not to forget the old pushups.Anyway Ray it would be great to see some photos but at least a report of your training during this time would be good.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates