Old article overhead injuries Spassov

Post questions concerning the History of Physical Culture and we will try our best to answer them for you.

Moderators: DannyBoy, Harry Hayfield, David Gentle

Adrien

Old article overhead injuries Spassov

Post by Adrien » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:10 pm

Hello, My name is Adrien leaving in Germany. Practicing musculation and very interested in history/nutrition/health. Following your suggestion on FB I post my question here =)

I think that this is the only place where I would be able to find what I’m looking for.
I'm looking for an old article from a weightlifting trainer (I’m think from the late and regretted Angel Spassov) about overhead press shoulder injuries. Basically, he was saying something like ‘’we have a limited number of overhead movements that we can do before that our shoulder will be ''crashed''. And he was giving a total number. And even advice lifter to reduce the number of warmup mouvement and get heavy quicker.

I would really like to find this article again. Maybe you recognize this and I would be very happy if you know where it was from who and which article ?

Passion is beautiful thank you in advance for your help.

Adrien

Harry Hayfield

Re: Old article overhead injuries Spassov

Post by Harry Hayfield » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:43 pm

Adrien wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:10 pm
Hello, My name is Adrien leaving in Germany. Practicing musculation and very interested in history/nutrition/health. Following your suggestion on FB I post my question here =) I think that this is the only place where I would be able to find what I’m looking for. I'm looking for an old article from a weightlifting trainer (I’m think from the late and regretted Angel Spassov) about overhead press shoulder injuries. Basically, he was saying something like ‘’we have a limited number of overhead movements that we can do before that our shoulder will be ''crashed''. And he was giving a total number. And even advice lifter to reduce the number of warmup mouvement and get heavy quicker. I would really like to find this article again. Maybe you recognize this and I would be very happy if you know where it was from who and which article ? Passion is beautiful thank you in advance for your help. Adrien
This question was asked via our Facebook page and therefore when an answer is posted, it will be shared there as well.
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

Talbot

Post by Talbot » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:33 am

@Adrien: I know nothing about the article you mentioned, other than it is entirely wrong. There is no upper limit as to how many overhead presses you can do, before you get shoulder injuries. Using bad form, and/or too much weight, can easily cause shoulder injuries. That is the fault of the person doing the wrong things on overhead press exercises, not the fault of the exercise itself.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:32 pm

Hello Adrien, thank you for your question.I am not sure of that article but of course know Spassov's reputation.I will inquire further with others who may know. However i totally agree with Talbot. Overhead pressing done correctly will build and maintain a strong shoulder girdle.The same thing has been said about squats over the years,both are erroneous statements. Now if we look at it from a different perspective we can see how this idea comes about. For a regular trainee or bodybuilder the issue should not come up,but in the times when the press was an official lift there could have been a tendency to over train that lift and not have enough recovery.This would lead to small injuries never being fully healed that later would become more serious.So training in the wrong way caused the problem not the exercise.Others may use too much weight to soon,always trying to push up the numbers and compromising correct lifting style,once again wrong training methods were the cause.There may be some who have an underlying musculoskeletal issue that may be irritated by pressing,but this will be few overall. Also i have observed and found for myself, as one ages the body responds better to lighter weights and higher reps, this is much kinder to aging joints and flushes the area with nutrient rich blood while taking away waste products. Finally it is useful to incorporate what my nephew calls "The antidote to pressing" which is doing front, side and bent over raises in a tri set for 10 or more reps each a couple of times a week. Echoing Talbot it is rarely the exercise that is at fault,but how it is done.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Adrien

Post by Adrien » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:50 pm

Thanks for your help and reply =)

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:42 pm

Adrien,you are most welcome.I am still asking around in regard to the article and will post here if i find something.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates