Low back rounding deadlift

Ray Nobile, World Champion Bodybuilder & Powerlifter is the Chief Moderator for this Forum. Ray invites you to post questions regarding your training and dietary concerns.

Moderators: drob357, raynobile

colinkbell

Low back rounding deadlift

Post by colinkbell » Thu May 21, 2020 8:21 pm

Hi Ray. I am struggling with my deadlifting. On heavier lifts my low back keeps rounding when coming of the ground. Would you have any advice please? Many thanks,Colin.
" Strengthen ye the weak hands and confirm the feeble knees" Isaiah 35 v3

raynobile

Re: Low back rounding deadlift

Post by raynobile » Fri May 22, 2020 12:24 pm

hi colin, seems to me you are straightening your legs too soon. deadlifts should be done shoeless or in very flat shoes with no heel and a thin sole. ballet slippers are what powerlifters used to compete in when deadlifting. this gives your body more contact with the floor. when seting up for the lift, make sure the bar is touching your shins. bend down and get a good grip on the bar, now squat down and get into position, keep the hips lower than the upper back, head up and try and push your feet through the floor while pulling the bar, keep the bar as close to your shins as possible during the lift. very important to drive your feet inti the floor, this creates maximum thrust and leg drive. hope this helps. regards, ray.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Fri May 22, 2020 3:04 pm

Thanks Ray, terrific description of good lifting form.Described like that you can see that the DL is actually more of a push than a pull and the legs bear a large percentage of the work.Of course we know a few lifters even at the top level who were round back lifters, Bob Peoples comes to mind,but for the majority of lifters that is a lifetime of pain waiting to happen.Also good question Colin,let us know how you go on.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

colinkbell

Post by colinkbell » Fri May 22, 2020 6:48 pm

Thanks Ray and Peter. Ray I cannot get that feeling of pushing my feet through the floor for some reason. I think, or rather I claim, do do those other pointers you mention. But I am failing to drive with my legs. Thanks, Colin.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Fri May 22, 2020 10:34 pm

Colin, you might want to reduce the weight for a few sessions and just work on Ray's suggestions especially the push down through the feet.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

raynobile

Post by raynobile » Sat May 23, 2020 9:06 am

thanks peter for your input. colin, another thing you can try to get the feeling of pushing your feet through the floor, load the bar to a weight that is imposible for you to lift, set up as if to deadlift, and pull and push with your feet\ legs as hard as you can. hopefully you will get that sensation of your feet going through the floor.stick with it as it may take time to master. its also a good way to get in some isometric work done. also keep the arms straight when doing it. no bending of the elbows. jon kuc ,who was one of the greatest ever deadlifters, had a rounded back style. almost a stiff leg deadlift. suited him but was painful to watch. vince annelo also had a unique style. heels together toes pointing out to the side at 45 degrees. sometimes you have to find the style that suits your body type and leverages etc. regards, ray.

colinkbell

Post by colinkbell » Sat May 23, 2020 12:40 pm

Thanks Ray yes I will do that! Much appreciated, Colin.

stanlystud

Post by stanlystud » Sat May 23, 2020 12:54 pm

colinkbell wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:21 pm
Hi Ray. I am struggling with my deadlifting. On heavier lifts my low back keeps rounding when coming of the ground. Would you have any advice please? Many thanks,Colin.
only deadlifts i do are stiff legged ones for hammies, lower back. why not try sumo deadlifts. more upright and can lift heavy.

colinkbell

Post by colinkbell » Mon May 25, 2020 1:52 pm

Thank you Stanlystud! Colin.

stanlystud

Post by stanlystud » Tue May 26, 2020 12:18 pm

colinkbell wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 1:52 pm
Thank you Stanlystud! Colin.
no probs buddy.