The problem with MUSCLE CONTROL

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderator: peter yates

Talbot

Re: The problem with MUSCLE CONTROL

Post by Talbot » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:02 am

@Jarett Hulse: I understand your collector mentality! Been there, done that! Still, having a digital copy, allows you to use the information, while you wait to get a hard copy of the book, or course. And, the price is right for that digital copy!

Yes, Muscle Control will help your back pain. Go through the motions that are in the area of your back pain. At first just move the body between relaxation, and contraction of the muscles involved, but don't contract the muscles hard. The Range Of Motion (ROM), between contraction and relaxation, itself will work on the healing part. Later the hard contractions will help with the muscle growth part.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:30 am

JUST BACK FROM A QUICK TRIP TO THE UK TO ATTEND A FUNERAL AND CATCHING UP WITH THE POSTS.HAPPY TO SEE SOME INTEREST IN MUSCLE CONTROL AS I BELIEVE IT IS ONE OF THE LEAST UTILIZED AND LEAST UNDERSTOOD ASPECTS OF PC. I WAS FORTUNATE ENOUGH TO BE INTRODUCED TO IT AS A YOUNG KID AND TRULY BELIEVE BESIDES THE BENEFITS I OBTAINED FROM THE SYSTEM ITSELF IT REALLY HELPED ME BE A BETTER LIFTER AND MARTIAL ARTIST. AFTER SEVERAL DISCUSSIONS WITH GIL WALDRON AND HAVING PRACTICED BOTH MYSELF I AM OF THE OPINION THAT SALDO WAS VERY MUCH INFLUENCED BY ORIENTAL MARTIAL ARTS AND INDIAN YOGA AND HIS INPUT INTO THE SYSTEM HAS BEEN UNDERRATED. AS FAR AS THE CLOSING OF THE EPIGLOTTIS IS CONCERNED I WAS TAUGHT THAT THIS IS ACTUALLY AN INDICATOR THAT THE EXERCISE IS BEING DONE CORRECTLY. ALSO EXHALING THROUGH THE NOSE RATHER THAN THE MOUTH WILL ALLOW THIS TO HAPPEN NATURALLY. COMES IN VERY HANDY ON TRANS ATLANTIC FLIGHTS TOO. :)
REGARDS, PETER.
Peter Yates

Giles

Post by Giles » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:16 am

Hi - new here & glad to see a balanced discussion of Muscle Control

re closing the glottis, just make as if you are going to swallow, then take the action no further.

I have a question about Muscle Control - I love it, I love the exercises but Maxick/Saldo say nothing about reps & sets. So, what do people advise? I'm guessing that for Strength, one Maximal contraction could be repeated daily but what about for hypertrophy?

Thanks

Talbot

Post by Talbot » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:35 pm

@Giles: Welcome to HOPC.

Reps and sets, aren't important with Muscle Control. What matters is doing the form correctly. Once you have the form down completely, then 20 reps will do fine, for both strength and hypertrophy. You go from extreme relaxation of the muscles, to extreme contraction of the muscles, and repeat. Muscle Control works for you differently than traditional weight lifting does.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:22 am

I was recently looking at old photos of Bill Hunt.Some taken when he was focusing on Olympic lifting and setting records.While undoubtedly very strong and nicely built, he had not yet developed to his full potential physique wise, yet felt he had reached his limit. Touring with his hand balancing act made carting weights around a difficult affair, and after consulting others who had been successful decide to embark on a Maxalding course.This was around 1933. Photos taken a few years later show a much improved,rugged physique with no loss in strength.Bill went on to have a successful strongman act, break many records and win several Maxalding awards. Taking a look at photos of Bill and so many others who took up Maxalding leaves no doubt as to its efficacy.Keep it up Giles, we need more young people becoming interested in the unique method of PC. Also welcome to the forum.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:15 am

Re Maxick aka Max Sick's book "Great Strength by muscle control" I remember having it years ago, great book, but as far as i can remember ( once in a conversation i said to someone "Its just crossed my mind" and the cheeky sod, said, "Well it didnt have far to go!" back to the book, i think i was disappointed as there want any muscle control, only weight lifting exercise and exercise advice. Maxick was primarily a weight lifter, very strong for his bodyweight. He got mixed up with Saldo and together they put together the great course Maxalding" Pullum, at the time said "It was something new" and the course had great success and lasted many years, i was a pupil, used it for about 18 months and it helped me recover from over training with weights. Most exercises are good alternatives to weight resistance exercise, just a few a bit contrived. It was unique in that it was genuinely personal, and not a massed one for all type of course and dont think it was easy, try tiger bends for triceps nd deltoids as old Bill Hunt would demonstrate for us, or even just single leg free squats for legs and everyone gained something out of it, even if it was just a rest from weights.David Gentle.
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

pm24

Post by pm24 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:54 am

Greetings,

I am new to the forum and have a question about the abdominal vacuum please?

I had had zero success trying to do the abdominal vacuum on and off over the last 3 years as I couldn't figure out the instructions correctly at all.

More recently I went onto youtube and found there were loads of videos about it, so began doing what they said, and it started working. Although, as pointed out above the videos said to contact the transverse abdominis, Maxalding says to relax it.
Once I had learned a bit from the videos, I came across this thread and put into practice the advice above about relaxing rather than contracting, and shutting the glottis, behold an abdominal vacuum occurred!

I been doing it every morning since just before the new year and have noticed that doing it has toned and flattened my abs - this seems bizarre to me as you are relaxing your abs not contracting - how is this effect possible?

So my question about the technique is, do you create the negative pressure by closing the throat and contacting the ribs/diaphragm at the end of a normal exhale? Or do you do a more forced exhale, breathing out some of the residual respiratory volume, then do it? If I do the latter it creates quite a noticeable discomfort in my throat despite my glottis being closed and I think that must be wrong and is giving me a sore throat.

And now that I have started getting the vacuum, any tips on starting with the central abdominal control. I have pushed my hands against my thighs or front of the pelvis as per the instructions and absolutely nothing happens!?

Warmest regards

Paul

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:16 am

Hi Paul,
A vacuum occurs when all the air is taken out of something and is a natural occurrence with no muscular force or contraction at all. That being said the idea is to remove as much air as is humanly possible from the lungs and relax everything in the thoracic/abdominal region. I have found through experimentation that exhaling through the nose rather than the mouth eliminates more air plus does not affect the throat adversely.I do Vacuums prior to every meal and firmly believe they have a profound effect on the digestive system.As to why they are so effective it is difficult to say but part could be the internal massaging effect on the muscles. I think it is important to keep in mind that Maxalding is not just a system of muscle development but also of healing and health promotion.As for the central isolation, it may be better at the moment to just concentrate on the vacuum for a little while longer and then have another go. You will get it i am sure.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

pm24

Post by pm24 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:58 am

Thank you Peter, very helpful as always

billypopowski

Post by billypopowski » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:44 pm

G’day everyone,

I’ve been practising Muscle Control for about two years now, I have decent control over the major muscles. My favourite is the abdominal vacuum, it often shocks people, because they just don’t seem to know what the body is capable of.

I found the same issue while reading Muscle Control by Maxick in that sometimes it was unclear on how you obtain those controls, but while watching videos on YouTube by Otto Arco, etc. It really didn’t take me long to gain some of those controls.

I printed out the PDF Philosophy, Science and Practise of Maxalding by Juan Antonio Martinez Rojas, I read about halfway but I was left with a feeling like he didn’t truly understand what he was talking about 100% of the time. So I just stopped reading it.

How does somebody enjoy doing Muscle Control everyday? It often is leaves my mind wandering, is there something that I can do to prevent my mind wandering?

Kind Regards,
Billy Popowski