TRAINING WITH FRIENDS

Topics that focus on building strength and muscle using old school and modern training techniques. Post questions, share training tips and programs.

Moderator: sticksb

Re: TRAINING WITH FRIENDS

Postby Mobster » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:18 am

I'll see if he has a better handle than me.
Mobster

Postby Tom K » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:23 am

I've never had a decent workout partner. I train full body and most in the UK train a split routine. If I do get a partner to train with, one of us has to sacrifice.

The few who have done full body workouts with me generally start to flag after a few weeks and start making excuses as to why they can't come, or start coming late to make sure they miss doing squats etc. But full attention on the bench and Curls though when they come round on the routine ;)

I've pretty much trained alone the entire time. It means you make mistakes, miss form cues.. Anyone near London, UK want to train full body old school style? :P
Tom K

Postby colinkbell » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:07 pm

I have trained alone since leaving the nest 17 yrs ago. Occasionally I would commute to my nearest club one& half hours away. I could definitely lift more due to the atmosphere at a club. Although I could never take the waiting around when sharing platform. Sometimes at home I would stick on a training hall video whilst training, that was cool! Colin.
" Strengthen ye the weak hands and confirm the feeble knees" Isaiah 35 v3
colinkbell

Postby peter yates » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:22 pm

Hi Guys,
yes finding the right training partners is not easy and i feel it must be harder these days.Lucky for me i have a good few friends and family who think and train as i do, so when the opportunity presents it is enjoyable to take advantage of it. The beauty of training by oneself is that you can do what you want when you want,no fees,no time restrictions, no waiting for people to turn up.Anyway lots of great workouts to everyone in 2018.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates
peter yates

Postby sticksb » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:56 am

I had a great friend and training partner named Dave Cummings .
We trained together twice a week for close to seven years .Dave
was a great all around athlete . We kept it simple with most of
the training gravitating around basic major compounds . Off days
we ran , played basketball and boxed and wrestled on occasion .

I train alone now but miss those days . There's nothing now that could
equal them in my experience .
sticksb

Postby Harry Hayfield » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:15 am

I shall be honest and say that I often think having a training partner would be a good idea (if only so that I could make sure what I was doing was correct) however they would have to be someone I know very well indeed, be up to ten years older than me and be a lot stronger so that as I progressed they could still spot me.
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)
Harry Hayfield

Postby 28kgKB » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:11 pm

I've had training partners on and off for years, but probably in the last 15 years or so, I've preferred to train alone as I can focus much better and get the best out of my training. What I tended to find with training partners is we usually ended up talking more than training and a normal one hour workout ended up being a two hour ordeal.
28kgKB

Previous

Return to Weight Training