Octogenarian update

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderators: DannyBoy, peter yates, Harry Hayfield

peter yates

Re: Octogenarian update

Post by peter yates » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:57 pm

Hi Dave, yes Carl and Audrey are quality people. I always liked that photo of Carl with the globes.A mighty man to be sure.Also the one with Andy Jackson is classic.Andy was another who continued training in some form through most of his life.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:52 pm

dhartnet wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:04 pm
Glad to see our buddy Carl make the list. As Peter said, just a quality human. I've been to Carl and Audrey's many times and they have been here to my place.

I had a little site about Carl and others here:

https://sites.google.com/site/powerlift ... an-of-iron

Carl bought that large Jackson Globe barbell right from Andy Jackson (they were close friends) when he retired from the police force when he was still in his 40's. I now own that barbell, I got it from Carl.
Its a beauty. (Pic of Andy and Carl attached). OF course I have a pic of Carl and I in front of the famous barn gym. : ) (Ill try to dig it up).andy-carl.jpg

We took a video of Carl speaking at AOBS one year. Dont mind the back of my balding head, gets int he way sometimes : )

youtu.be/Zr-03OxZ_F4
Hi Dave, the video clip will not play here so it has been added to the HOPC youtube.
~Dave
Peter Yates

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Thu May 30, 2019 7:41 pm

I recently had communication with two of the men that inspire me with their attitude to life.I have always had others to look up to so at nearly 70 it is gratifying to still have such people in my life. First i received an email from Arnold Betts in New Zealand. Now in his late 80s he is showing no sign of slowing up his Training with Maxalding and expanders. He always adds some interesting stories from his many years in Physical Culture in his correspondence. Secondly i heard from Carl Linich now 82 years young and powering. Carl's main training medium for many years now has been Dumbbells and works up to some high repetitions in a sequence of chosen exercises.Carl's Battle cry is "Still breathing defiance," and i am wishing him many more years of doing so. Both of these outstanding gentleman will be featured in a new article i am writing.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:12 pm

David just informed me that his old friend, former wrestler and bodybuilder Dennis Winn is still training at 87. Dennis believes the secret to a long healthy life good food and clean living and that regular exercise clears the body of impurities. He hits the gym 4 days a week and inspires the younger ones who train there. He makes a point of
making it clear that older people should limit the amount of weight on the bar and use good form so as to prevent injury and joint pain. Another one to keep us young uns on our toes and no excuses.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:07 pm

Took a trip upstate New York this past week and took the opportunity of visiting Carl Linich and his wife Audrey. Carl looks even better than the last time i saw him and does some training every day with dumbbells. Always great to listen to his stories of wrestling in the time when he was active in the game, plus the strongmen he has known. A great example and still breathing defiance. Many more years of doing so Carl.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates