Expanders

Topics that focus on building strength and muscle using old school and modern training techniques. Post questions, share training tips and programs.

Moderator: peter yates

sticksb

Re: Expanders

Post by sticksb » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:10 pm

IMG_0002.jpg
IMG_0002.jpg (111.28 KiB) Viewed 1578 times

Bruce Tackett

Post by Bruce Tackett » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:18 pm

My name is Bruce Tackett, and as CEO of Sierra Exercise Equipment, LLc, I approve the above cheap marketing ploy.
Sierra Exercise Equipment

"Deep within every dilemma lies a solution that involves explosives."
- Joe the Circle

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:51 pm

I dont just approve it....it should be made compulsory. David Gentle.Brits would be reminded of the old Barbara Winsor bit she did in an old movie, one of the "Carry on" films, when she "Threw out her chest" as would this young lady in the illustration. I think chest expanders would make a great spectator sport with such competitors.
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
http://davidgentle.com

Bruce Tackett

Post by Bruce Tackett » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:40 pm

David Gentle wrote: for example soon it will be my/our 60th wedding anniversary,
60 years?!! Holy Cow! Congratulations! You've been married longer than most people on this planet have been alive!
Sierra Exercise Equipment

"Deep within every dilemma lies a solution that involves explosives."
- Joe the Circle

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:02 am

IMG.jpg
IMG.jpg (158.7 KiB) Viewed 1534 times

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:19 pm

Bruce mate, after 60 years, who says i am still "Alive"... just about hanging on would be more like it. No kidding mate, but having a hobby eg. physical culture or any other interest outside of shopping, gardening, and decorating is what keeps us old guys alive. right now i am in my "mans cave" going through old mags to find a mix of muscle fax to put together for my next Muscleanous column in Health and Strength for the Xmas issue. Boy this year has gone so fast, like they say, life is like a toilet roll, the nearer you get to the end, the faster it goes. Thanks for your input mate, much appreciated. David Gentle searching for my book on training the memory.
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
http://davidgentle.com

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:15 pm

IMO,Without doubt one of the very best and underrated exercises must be the cable front pull. I had not been doing much work on this for the past few months and decided to introduce it into my Thursday B/W routine in place of inverted pull ups, [another good exercise]alternated with weighted push ups. The way i do them is to pull to full stretch to the sides and then squeeze my scapula together, holding for a count. Both exercises were done 3x12.For the next couple of days i had muscle soreness in the whole upper back and rear delts, reminding me of the large amount of muscle tissue this exercise affects. Now i have been doing exercises that target that region all along but the front pull works muscles that do not always get thoroughly affected and/or works the same muscles in a different way.It is interesting to note that the front pull is often said to be a chest exercises but there is actually little chest involvement except for some effect on the serratus group. It will give some expansion to the rib cage if done after a set of high rep squats but there are better exercises for this goal. However practically every muscle in the upper back including trapezious, plus the rear delts and triceps is worked strongly with this pull. Also it is probably one of the best exercises for strengthening the rotator cuff and building shoulder stability. For this reason alone bench press addicts and power lifters would readily benefit from its inclusion into their training programs.The above combination with the weighted push up is a terrific upper body builder.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

28kgKB

Post by 28kgKB » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:13 am

peter yates wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:15 pm
IMO,Without doubt one of the very best and underrated exercises must be the cable front pull. I had not been doing much work on this for the past few months and decided to introduce it into my Thursday B/W routine in place of inverted pull ups, [another good exercise]alternated with weighted push ups. The way i do them is to pull to full stretch to the sides and then squeeze my scapula together, holding for a count. Both exercises were done 3x12.For the next couple of days i had muscle soreness in the whole upper back and rear delts, reminding me of the large amount of muscle tissue this exercise affects. Now i have been doing exercises that target that region all along but the front pull works muscles that do not always get thoroughly affected and/or works the same muscles in a different way.It is interesting to note that the front pull is often said to be a chest exercises but there is actually little chest involvement except for some effect on the serratus group. It will give some expansion to the rib cage if done after a set of high rep squats but there are better exercises for this goal. However practically every muscle in the upper back including trapezious, plus the rear delts and triceps is worked strongly with this pull. Also it is probably one of the best exercises for strengthening the rotator cuff and building shoulder stability. For this reason alone bench press addicts and power lifters would readily benefit from its inclusion into their training programs.The above combination with the weighted push up is a terrific upper body builder.
Regards,Peter.
Peter,

I agree! The cable front pull is a wonderful exercise! I may have to include this movement in my bench press routine! You've peaked my "re-newed interest" in this movement! I think we forget how much this simple piece of equipment can be so effective in actual muscle building! There was an internet board, awhile back, perhaps as long as 10 years ago now, that was run by a guy who was an avid strand puller. He didn't lift weights that I knew of and instead built his body using strands. He trained much like his dad did. Apparently, his dad had some issue with his legs making it impossible for him to even do modest training training for his legs and lift weights, so instead he trained exclusively with strands and built a really impressive upper body.

Since I can't squat due to upper neck and back injuries from a car accident and years of abusing my body in powerlfiting, I'm on a quest to improve my bench press. I'm going to revisit some of those exercises for the shoulders with cables to make my shoulders bullet proof!!

Cheers!

John

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:29 am

Over Christmas the "Back in Time" series repeated the special it did in 2016 about Christmases in the 1940's, 1950's, 1960's, 1970's, 1980's and 1990's and for the 1970's Christmas an expander was given as a present. I recorded the two part series and (if I am able to) would be more than happy to post (either in video form or transcript and pictures) the segment to see what members make of it?
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:19 pm

Hi John, glad your interest for cables has been peeked again. I feel everyone no matter what else they are doing would benefit from inclusion of some cable work in their program. To me the three essentials are front pull, overhead downward pull and back press. These will hit just about every muscle in the upper body.Others can be added as needed or desired. The gentleman you are thinking of is Brad Reid and his father was Jack Reid. Jack was featured a lot in Strength and Health magazine and as you mention had built a terrific physique from cables after being struck down with polio that affected his legs. He worked for Noe cables and went around demonstrating how to use them. There is a story of when he was demonstrating to the military and the soldiers were snickering and not impressed until they tried them and not even the biggest of them could pull Jack's cable.From his cable training he built the strength to be a very good hand balancer and could do several chins with either hand. Now he also built up to over 200lb of solid muscle and as his legs were withered the majority of that was in his upper body so the cables were obviously effective.I have heard that he could out pull all the York champs including Grimek and Stanko. Anyway mate glad to hear your programs are going well and you are including some cable work in your training.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates