Expanders

Topics that focus on building strength and muscle using old school and modern training techniques. Post questions, share training tips and programs.

Moderators: sticksb, peter yates

peter yates

Re: Expanders

Post by peter yates » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:20 pm

Harry Hayfield wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:29 am
Over Christmas the "Back in Time" series repeated the special it did in 2016 about Christmases in the 1940's, 1950's, 1960's, 1970's, 1980's and 1990's and for the 1970's Christmas an expander was given as a present. I recorded the two part series and (if I am able to) would be more than happy to post (either in video form or transcript and pictures) the segment to see what members make of it?
Hi Harry, that would be interesting if you could manage it.
Peter Yates

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:45 pm

Harry, re the expanders, Peter as usual is right(must get on his wife's nerves) its better to get an older version of expanders as modern ones are usually crap with lousy lincs for the springs to be attatched. Also a good set of expanders will have not only its poundage marked on the spring but also running within the spring should be a safety chord, so that if ever the spring bust, and i have never noticed one break, but cheap ones do get over pulled, anyway, if the spring was to break, the safety chord would protect you from it fully breaking further and thus avoid any injury. just for a trial, get a decent hook fixed up on the wall aboout shoulder height, then hook on one cable, leaving one handle to use, then practise single arm t riceps stretches, do about ten reps, and immediately swop arms and do ten with the other arm, then again with no rest swop arms and slowly you will be doing less and less reps for each arm until the triceps are fit to but out of your sleeves. I used to do that along with dumbell curls just before i w ent out for the summer evening in my white tee shirt, fully sun tanned and a rms pumped at least an inch larger, looks good, ,only thing is dont stay out too long or your arms weill slowly lose the pump and you will lose the girls....dont do heavy squats before you go out for the night, people will think you are "brams and list"/pissed, before you even have your first pint......words from one who knows.... David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
http://davidgentle.com

28kgKB

Post by 28kgKB » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:03 pm

peter yates wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:19 pm
Hi John, glad your interest for cables has been peeked again. I feel everyone no matter what else they are doing would benefit from inclusion of some cable work in their program. To me the three essentials are front pull, overhead downward pull and back press. These will hit just about every muscle in the upper body.Others can be added as needed or desired. The gentleman you are thinking of is Brad Reid and his father was Jack Reid. Jack was featured a lot in Strength and Health magazine and as you mention had built a terrific physique from cables after being struck down with polio that affected his legs. He worked for Noe cables and went around demonstrating how to use them. There is a story of when he was demonstrating to the military and the soldiers were snickering and not impressed until they tried them and not even the biggest of them could pull Jack's cable.From his cable training he built the strength to be a very good hand balancer and could do several chins with either hand. Now he also built up to over 200lb of solid muscle and as his legs were withered the majority of that was in his upper body so the cables were obviously effective.I have heard that he could out pull all the York champs including Grimek and Stanko. Anyway mate glad to hear your programs are going well and you are including some cable work in your training.
Regards,Peter.
Exactly! Jack and Brad Reid! That's them! Awesome memory!!

J

Tom K

Post by Tom K » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:57 pm

Hello guys,

I haven't been training with the expanders for a little while. Moving home, new baby, work has meant I've cut my training down to 2x a week. But, I decided to buy a set of Sierra trainings hook system, bands and an anchor.

After my previous use of steel expanders helping my pressing, but having trouble with the poundage jumps with steel springs and the lack of lighter loads available, this seems to be the only decent item on the market currently.

I hope to be another satisfied customer soon enough and get back to cable training. I will be glad to add a 3rd training day back into the mix, and the Mrs will be pleased I can stay at home to do it!

Hope you are all well

Thomas

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:05 pm

Nice Tom
With the rubber strands there are many DIY projects you can fab
yourself out of a big box and use in conjunction with your Sierra
hooks . They will appear here and in the library . There are a couple
in cool tools #2 on this forum . Sticks

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:19 am

Hi Tom, good to hear from you mate and hope the move goes well. The hook has a lot of possibilities and with the light bands you can make progress in workable jumps. As Chris mentions a lot of interesting set ups can be made quite cheaply and are ideal for home training.Check out some of ideas on Cool Tools.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:01 pm

[attachment=0]
Attachments
IMG.jpg
IMG.jpg (65.64 KiB) Viewed 82 times

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:55 am

[attachment=0]IMG_0001.jpg
Attachments
IMG_0001.jpg
IMG_0001.jpg (158.56 KiB) Viewed 77 times

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:25 pm

Hi Chris, great idea for the jettison technique as usually done with biceps curls. Hold the dumbbells and cables and perform lateral raise until no more can be done aiming for eight, drop the DB,s and continue with the cables to failure. Two or at the most three sets will do it. Good finisher after pressing.Keep em coming mate.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:36 pm

peter yates wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:25 pm
Hi Chris, great idea for the jettison technique as usually done with biceps curls. Hold the dumbbells and cables and perform lateral raise until no more can be done aiming for eight, drop the DB,s and continue with the cables to failure. Two or at the most three sets will do it. Good finisher after pressing.Keep em coming mate.
Regards,Peter.
Not intended to be jettison technique . The inset image showed the primary (traditional) DB side raise and its'
Hook alternative . Jettison tech on cuffs is not a good idea ...